•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: The Webcomic List Awards 2010 ** Nominees Are In!**  (Read 22862 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
The Webcomic List Awards 2010 ** Nominees Are In!**
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »

As I mentioned in a previous article I and several Webcomics Community members have been asked to serve as judges for the upcoming awards. I personally will be judging the "Best Writing" Category as well as the "Best New Comic" Category.

I'm also very excited to announce that Corey and I have been asked to present the award for "Best Long Form Comic" at the awards ceremony. As you may recall from last year the ceremony is drawn and the entire presentation goes live on January 31st, 2011. On that day you'll be able to click through all the awards and see the accompanying comics that the presenters have drawn.

I hope you check ours our... Corey and I have something pretty special planned.  

And without further hoodoo here are your nominees:

Best Comic:

Gunnerkrigg Court
Questionable Content
Red's Planet
The Meek
FreakAngels

Best New Comic:

Red's Planet
Axe Cop
Scenes from a Multiverse
Minor Acts of Heroism

Best Colour Art:

Hanna is not a boy's name
The Meek
Dresden Codak
Oglaf (NSFW)

Best Black and White Art:

Lackadaisy
The Abominable Charles Christopher
Sandra and Woo

Best Non-traditional Art:

Union of Heroes
Romantically Apocalyptic
Dreamland Chronicles
A Softer World

Best Writing:

Sinfest
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Bug
xkcd
Oglaf (NSFW)  

Best Gag-a-day:

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Sinfest
Oglaf (NSFW)
xkcd
Bug

Best Longform Comic:

Girl Genius
The Meek
Gunnerkrigg Court
Questionable Content
The Abominable Charles Christopher

Best Character

Hanna from Hanna is not a boy's name
Axe Cop from Axe Cop
Imy from Imy
Zombie from Hanna is not a boy's name
Antimony Carver from Gunnerkrigg Court
Alan Warren from The Dreamer
Cleo from Cleopatra In Spaaaace!

If you want to check out the nominee page at The Webcomics List or learn more about it here is a whole bunch of useful links below.

Congratulations to all the nominees. There are some really great comics on that list.

About the Webcomic List

The Webcomic List (http://www.thewebcomiclist.com) is a Webcomic listing site, news portal and community forum launched in 2003 which lists and monitors over 16,800 online comics.

Useful links and contact information:

The Webcomic List can be found at:
http://thewebcomiclist.com

The Webcomic List Awards can be found at:
http://thewebcomiclistawards.com

A full member list for judges and organisers can be found at:
http://2010.thewebcomiclistawards.com/index.php/Welcome/meetthecommittee

Full rules for the awards can be found at:
http://2010.thewebcomiclistawards.com/index.php/legal/detail/Terms

The Webcomic List is owned and operated by Ash Young
[email protected]

For any additional information please contact Wendy Wood on: [email protected]

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
Re: The Webcomic List Awards 2010 ** Nominees Are In!**
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:48 PM »
If you are interested you can see what some "professional" (and I use the term lightly because I comment there as well and my art is an abomination) cartoonists think of the awards in the discussion over at The Daily Cartoonist where the same story I posted has been run.

http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2011/01/17/2010-webcomic-list-awards-announces-nominees/#comment-107682

Just use caution if you are going to comment it can be a real shark tank some times.  :-\

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:08:54 AM »
Congrats to all the nominees, and maybe next year for the rest of us :)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »
The debate over the value of these awards has raged for most of the day today at The Daily Cartoonist (see link above). I'm in the middle of it explicitly because it snowed and iced last night and so I my job got shut down for the day. Although I have to admit I'm glad I was there to defend their merits. The unnecessary and mean spirited digressiveness from some of the people in that thread is quite surprising.

What do you guys think?

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:51:53 AM »
Hi All,

Aside from Wonder Weenies, B.C., and the occasional XKCD, I don't particularly care for comics (web or print). I've tried, but they just don't interest me. What can I say? It's a character flaw, and I am OK with that.

I am an engineer. I analyze. I measure. I analyze some more. I intentionally break stuff, then I fix it.

C. C++. Java. PHP. SQL. JavaScript. PERL, Visual Basic .NET. Solaris. Linux. Oracle. Sybase. mySQL.

I've never been accused of being artistic, and I probably never will. No, I implement technology in an effort to make the world a little smaller, bring folks a little closer, and facilitate an exchange of ideas. That is where you all come in.

Despite my lack of appreciation for comics, I truly DO appreciate every single person who comes here, joins this forum, and expresses their constructive thoughts and ideas. It takes a lot of gumption to put your work up for critical review. The fact that you choose to do so here in this community is my reward.

The Webcomic List Awards may not be top-shelf awards in the eyes of most, but I think they do represent genuine recognition from your peers. Where I come from, recognition from respectful peers is worth far more than shallow pomp.

Congratulations to all of the nominees - I wish you the best of luck!

-Chadm1n
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:55:40 AM by Chadm1n »

Offline ScottLincoln

• CT Webcomic Creator
  • Am I There Yet?
    • Ralf the Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:32:26 AM »
Well, congratulations to the nominees, there is a lot of fine work to be found there.  ;)

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
Congratulations to everyone, but I support Gunnerkrigg Court in each of the categories it's nominated in.

It's my first stop the moment I get to a computer every monday, wednesday and friday.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!