•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: what program is best for doing line art?  (Read 27396 times)

Offline BaseDeath

what program is best for doing line art?
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »
Currently I use Paint Tool Sai a lot.. because the pen tool is real easy to use. Just hold Ctrl and move pen lines anywhere. The pen tool in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator seem more complicated than necessary ..
"I Hate Adobes path slash pen tool.. thing"

But there are a few things that can't be done in Sai to easy either.. like circles and oval shapes.. well that is all I can think of at the moment..

Anyone know of a program with an EASY to use Pen tool or a plug-in to make Adobes pen nightmare work better?

I have tried Manga Studio Ex 4 and I dont really like it.. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly but so far I can't see spending three hundred on the program, plus It runs really slow on my computer .. think its meant for 32 bit operating system..

Offline scruffy

Re: what program is best for doing line art?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:28 AM »
Oddly enough, manipulating lines in adobe flash is ridiculously simple. While it's not optimal or particularly intended for illustration, I have a friend who uses it for precisely that. There are downsides to using flash as an illustration tool, but it's worth looking at.

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:06 AM »
I used to use Flash because the lines are very easy to manipulate, but recently switched to the dreaded Photoshop pen tool and it cut my inking time in half and gave me better results.  :-\
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:27:59 AM »
I mostly use the brush tool in illustrator for my lines, I've been pretty happy with the results.

Offline BaseDeath

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
I may look into flash I want to try animation anyways, but ill probably go the 3d route if i ever figure out Maya or 4d Studio.. 

The problem I have  with using the brush tool in photo shop is wavy lines... Tried using really high resolution 1000/psi and 10 x 10 inch.. then dropping the resolution down to 100/psi and its just smaller wavy lines.. I don't know if I am  doing it wrong. But it just doesn't seem to help, like others claim it to. A Stroke stabilization option would be nice..

and I really messed up my version of Illustrator  cs5 can't figure out what I did , There's a box around the art board and cross hairs in the center when I create or open a project, which is distracting and it wont go away.. Also there seems to be a problem with colors half the time the stroke and fill drop down menus are blank except cross hairs.. and I cant use any colors..

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »
I'm not familiar with cs5, I'm sure there are tutorials and stuff.

There's a good tutorial over at the Sister Claire site: http://www.sisterclaire.com/tutorials/how-to-draw-a-la-yamino/ (Check out the comic while you're there, it's good)

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
The problem I have  with using the brush tool in photo shop is wavy lines... Tried using really high resolution 1000/psi and 10 x 10 inch.. then dropping the resolution down to 100/psi and its just smaller wavy lines.. I don't know if I am  doing it wrong. But it just doesn't seem to help, like others claim it to. A Stroke stabilization option would be nice..

I have this problem too, that's why I ink things with the Photoshop pen tool now. Create paths and then use the stroke option to turn it into a smooth pen stroke. It feels a bit like cheating, not actually drawing the lines you know? But as long as I get better results I can deal with it.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline NoahRodenbeek

• drawn by mouse
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
I do everything in Illustrator.  I am a huge proponent for it also.  There are a million shortcuts and handy tools to make your life easier, and manipulating vectors is waaaaay more forgiving than pixels.  Also, I had a psycho teacher in art school that pounded the whole Flash-is-not-a-graphic-editor mentality into my brain.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
@Noah: Know of any good Illustrator tutorials? (If you've written some up, even better)

Offline NoahRodenbeek

• drawn by mouse
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
I'm working on one that I hope to publish in May.  Actually I did read one a week or so ago that was pretty close to the regiment I've worked out for myself.  They have an interesting twist on coloring that I wouldn't have thought of, but the line art is done similarly to mine:

http://www.designioustimes.com/tutorials/design-process-how-to-draw-the-super-villain-megamind-in-illustrator.html

And if anyone has a good tutorial for their program, definitely post them!  That's a good call, Gar.

Offline NoahRodenbeek

• drawn by mouse
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
For any interested, I made a tutorial for my illustration process.  Please tell me what you think!  http://drawnbymouse.com/?p=1106

Offline Otterchild

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
Have you lot tried GIMP? It's what I use. Free, easy to learn and does line work well.
Slainte!