•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to get your Webcomic Site reviewed by a professional? Volunteer your site for review in this thread!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: An Attempt at an Introducution  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Chris_Hutton

• Life From the Cheap Seats
An Attempt at an Introducution
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
Hello everyone. 

I'm not really certain how this works, but I'm new here and thought that I would give it a go.  I recently entered the realm of webcomics (as far as running one goes) and have definitely been feeling isolated from that community.  I appear to be the only person I actually know that is involved in this medium, which makes finding answers to questions about webcomics extremely difficult.

So I thought I'd take my first steps away from isolation and see if perhaps this community would be a good way for me to both get more involved in the world of webcomics at large, and find the answers for my own individual concerns as I move forward in my webcomic endeavors.

That being said, again, hello.  I'm the writer and artist of a tiny webcomic - http://lifefromthecheapseats.com - about Life, Film, Careers, Friendships, Marriage, Geeking Out, and Other Everyday BS From Our Everyday Lives.  Essentially, another slice of life webcomic.

Offline ShadowsMyst

• Brymstone
Re: An Attempt at an Introducution
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi Chris,

If you have questions, do feel free to ask! Its been a little quiet around here, but I'm sure a few questions will rouse some life from people. :)

Welcome aboard!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »
Yes but the quiet will be broken fairly soon. I'm getting fairly settled in San Diego now and I am about done with my second week of school so soon it will be time to turn my eye to getting things hopping around here again.

In the mean time... welcome to the site Chris.

If you do ask questions I can assure you, you will receive answers. I only had a few minutes to check out LFTCS but I like the art. The story is less coherent since I haven't read through the archive but I'll check it out when I have time.

So I see you are struggling with schedule AND color vs B&W.

Those are tough issues. If you want some advice (worth what you pay for it!) let me know. I have thoughts on both of those subjects that are in many ways... just one subject.

I see you have O and Tarol on you suggested reading list. Both great guys with great comics.

I also see you have several creative partners. It's nice to share the burden.

Once again welcome to the site. I suggest perhaps going through our article archive (just click "archive" on the front page). There are some very informative articles there that would help anyone in the field.
 ;)

Offline Chris_Hutton

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
Thank you both for the welcome, and for checking out the site.  I will definitely have questions.  I'll try to log in after I finish at the office so that I have the time to devote to framing them appropriately.

@ Rob -- Thanks!  I'm glad that you liked the art.  As for story, I think that you have a valid point.  In fact it is largely that very concern on coherence that has led me to make the recent switch from a primarily color comic to a black and white comic with only occasional color strips.  My hopes are that the decreased time per comic should allow for more comics per week, shifting from essentially one off comics to more of a storyline with a greater ability for readers to understand character or follow ongoing plot threads.  That increased output is only now beginning, so only time will tell if this fix works.

As for advice, feel free to lay it on.  I've consulted many friends on the matter, but as I said I know few people in the comic community and would definitely appreciate the thoughts of those more versed in this field.  And, I'll definitely check out that archive as soon as I get home.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

Offline Chris_Hutton

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:43:31 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you, again.  I haven't posted any questions, yet, but I have been finding the archives of posts incredibly helpful.  Most the answers I've been seeking are right there.  Thank you for putting together and running such an amazing and helpful community forum!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
You're very welcome. And we're not done yet! ;D