•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: RECAPTCHA Integration  (Read 20517 times)

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
RECAPTCHA Integration
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
Hi All,

I finally had enough of the nonsense with the bogus registrations and integrated RECAPTCHA into the registration flow. Granted, this won't directly impact any of our registered users, but I am hoping it will have a chilling effect on the spambot activity.

-cec

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: RECAPTCHA Integration
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
Is that why I've had to delete like 30 spam accounts today?  :D

Here's to no more spambots... ever... for anyone.... >:(

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »
Dude, no joke! I was wondering if you had kicked off an ad campaign or something - the traffic levels today have been substantially elevated with a lot of bogus registration attempts.

I also changed the registration settings so that admins have to approve new members. It won't prevent bogus registrations, but it should cut down on the nonsensical postings.

-cec

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
Between our two forums I have now deleted over 60 accounts. THIS. IS. MADNESS. What did you DooOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOO!? ??? :'( :o

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
I didn't do anything - I am merely reacting to what I am seeing on the servers. The site is definitely being targeted by someone or something. Google and PW show just a modest jump in the last 24 hours. The server logs, however, tell a much different story - over the past 24 hours, we've seen 6x our normal traffic load with most of that traffic being targeted as registrations. Server performance is fine, but the nuisance factor with the registrations is a little aggravating.

If this keeps up, I will look at integrating some additional defensive measures.

Oh yeah, for our Russian and/or North Korean bot friends reading this post: bring it you commie bitches. I can't stop you from trying to get in, but I can sure as hell sink your bandwidth. I pay a flat monthly rate. Do you??  ;)

-cec

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
When I went to bed I had cleared them all out. I just woke up to 46 new accounts spread across both sites and unlike this forum they are getting in over at Remedial Comics and making posts because we haven't set that to admin approval.

Maybe their mission is to show that Recaptcha is their bitch? :-\

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
I dunno man... I don't think it has anything to do with the integration of RECAPTCHA. I added RECAPTCHA to help deal with what I saw as a marked increase in bogus registrations. Traffic jumped quite a bit over the past 30 hours or so, with most of it aimed at registrations and spamming.

I added a few defensive measures to both forums and switched registrations back to member activation. I also looped in the firewall in a manner that will drag things out a bit and make it significantly more computationally expensive for those who host the bots. They may still get in, but those who do will have spent some serious cycles to do so.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
Yeah I've searched high and low and it's just baffling. Nothing much has seemed to change except suddenly spammers. I had another 50 or so waiting for approval when I woke up. Seems like someone already took care of them but they keep dribbling in.