•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to advertise on our front page for FREE? Just go to this thread for details.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: School of Photoshop  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
School of Photoshop
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:38:35 AM »
Recently someone mentioned that we ought to have a specific section that deals with Photoshop tips and I kind of shot them down because although I feel there is a place for program specific tips here on the site it isn't specifically what we are here for and there are other sites that exist solely for that purpose.

This site was recommended... I should say highly recommended to me awhile back and I have kept it in my bookmarks for that magical time when I will have the free moments to soak in its knowledge and improve my feeble PS Kung Fu.

School of Photoshop.

As we all know there are so many things that these art programs can do that no one site will ever be the repository of all the answers. What's more, there will be things that work better for some of our creators here than others and their recommendations are not to be dismissed. So we will continue to run articles and discuss things related to Photoshop. I just thought I would mention this site for those of you who are looking for answers now and want to immerse yourselves in the learning.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:04:11 AM by Rob »

Offline GaborBoth

Re: School or Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:05:40 AM »
Good link. Typo in the title, though :)
,,People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."

Offline zieglarf

• KiDD and GEEZER
Re: School of Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
It was on your thread asking about a tablet article. I think you misunderstood my suggestion to begin with. This is NOT a PS board or a tablet board, but it is a comic board.

You wanted an article about tablets in terms of making comics. My intent was a PS section in terms of making comics as well. This could be a sub-section in the MAIN CONTENT.

Not everybody knows how to make a word balloon. Or how to color in channels instead of layers. Or how to get better lines when inking. Some people don't use PS and instead use Illustrator or something else. Or how to scan it in good.

All comics -even when hand drawn- become digital at some point: that leaves tons of stuff open for discussion, but comic related not general use PS tips.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
And I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea.... I just think it's a bad idea right now. We are still pretty new as a sight and there are a lot of empty or partially empty spaces on this forum already. I just hesitate to add more sections.

I've already had members PM-ing me saying that they think there are too many boards. And you are not alone in suggesting new ones. Which tends to make me think we're probably ok for now.

I know that'd Devils arithmatic. Just try and remember that things often do change and eventually we may have need for that subsection. Right now I just can't see the use for it with the art section practically empty.

So did ANYONE bes odes Gabor like my link?

Offline Yamino

• Patron Saint of Pregnant Nuns
    • Sister Claire: Pregnant Nun, Holy Crap!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:23:04 AM »
That's a great site you posted, I think the Web-blogging tutorials will be very helpful to me.

However, I think I agree with Sieglarf that we need a place on this board for people to discuss digital art tips.  The site you linked to doesn't really have anything for comic artists.  A good reference for digital comic artists is BalloonTales, a site my professors frequently directed us to, particularly for making decent digital word balloons.

Another great site is Blambot, which provides tons of free and paid comic sites.  I get my Sister Claire font from there. (It's called Sunday Comics.)

I'd be happy to reformat my step-by-step article on how I work digitally to be published here, too.  I think it's really important to have a section specific to digital comics creation, because so many more people are going that route these days.  If you like, I'll even volunteer to mod that particular section, since I've been making digital comics for quite some time now. =)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:21:38 PM »
All right. I'm knackered.

My primary hesitation to this is that if someone has a really great tip or article to share I'd really like to front page it so that everyone can see it. We need that sort of content to drive discourse site wide and to keep people coming back to the site. I've already seen some pretty great stuff just sort of tossed into the forum to sink or swim on its own and that drives me nuts because I'm looking at a week when I don't know if I'm going to have an article for the front page on Wednesday and there's nothing but a bunch of promises in the wings for next week.

And front paged articles remain in the feature articles section so that folks can come and see them all there in one spot. If I start reposting them to another section then it will completely bone the forum search function as it will double all the results for anything related to digital comic creation that is mentioned in that article.

There is also the issue of time which I'm kind of short on right now. Actually I'm really short on right now. If I create this board someone is going to have to go through all the existing posts, figure out which ones are relevant and move them to this new category.

So I'm not sure what to do here. If you guys really want a separate "digital comic creation tips" section then I'll make it and Yamino I'll bump you up to Global mod is you feel you can make the time commitment.

Maybe you could create like a sticky thread in the art section with just a moderator maintained list of helpful tip site links and a brief description of the site. Then you could just collect the links and add them to the list as people post them. I don't know.

Sound off and let me know.

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:47:48 PM »
Well, the board's kind of fragmented as it is at present... I don't know if a new child board is the answer.

Maybe a digital discussion thread stickied up top would suffice for now. I'd say that in general, you only want a whole new board for topics that tend to take over other threads and often and topics that yield 20-50 page threads regularly.

Offline zieglarf

• KiDD and GEEZER
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
Y'all are probably right in it being to soon for it. Looking at the threads on this area there seems to be 5 threads related to digital issues just going by the thread title alone.

Photoshop Tips, Manga Studios, 3D comics, Ad Banners, and Photocomics

Some threads are digital related but the title didn't say so.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:18:58 PM by zieglarf »