•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Is Your Local Comic Book Store Webcomic Friendly?  (Read 43744 times)

Offline LegendWoodsman

Is Your Local Comic Book Store Webcomic Friendly?
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:35:28 AM »
I feel pretty lucky that the comic book stores that I frequent are pleasant enough to pass along postcards, bookmarks, and fliers promoting webcomics. Has anybody tried this course and what was the result?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Is Your Local Comic Book Store Webcomic Friendly?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:47 AM »
I've been thinking about it. I may try at some point but I know from being a comics customer that the comics stores in CT only come in two flavors, Corporate where everything has to be approved by 27 layers of middle management and barely hanging on. The barely hanging on ones are usually way more customer friendly and they often run board games and warhammer stuff but they don't have the manpower to do things like account for sales of your webcomic items on consignment. The corporate guys take forever to approve anything and even if it does get approved it rarely goes well unless you can get the underpaid, unappreciated staff on your side.

Do I sound cynical? I think I'm coming off as cynical here.  ::)

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:31:58 PM »
Every store is different and every experience is different. I've seen some stores who are pining for the days of the 90s comic boom (or was it 80s?) and turn their nose at anything unbranded by the big two. I've seen some stores that foster new talent and have comic jams. Then you have the spectrum in between.

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
For being such an artsy town, Austin's comic stores are pretty close-minded about comics.  The only exception is Dragon's Lair which recently hosted a Webcomics Weekend (with some big names - Jeph Jacques, Danielle Corsetto, Scott Kurtz...)  Other than that one, I haven't seen any postcards or anything related to webcomics.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:57:52 PM by amanda »
/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
For being such an artsy town, Austin's comic stores are pretty close-minded about comics.  The only exception is Dragon's Lair which recently hosted a Webcomics Weekend (with some big names - Jeph Jacques, Danielle Corsetto, Scott Kurtz...)  Other than that one, I haven't seen any postcards or anything related to webcomics.

You realize if Scott has a Google Alert set up for his name (and a guy like Scott who sees enemies in every shadow probably does) he will probably see that. Just FYI. Don't burn any bridges.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:14:44 PM by Rob »

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:08:42 PM »
While I can think of several stores in the Toronto area that are small-press-friendly, they all have the same issue-- space. It's difficult to even find extra counter space (or window ledge space or whatever) for flyers or postcards. These stores are often trying to maximize what space they have for items they can sell.

I've had good luck asking these stores to carry my books, though, either on commission (when they don't know me) or by straight purchase (when they do).

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
While I can think of several stores in the Toronto area that are small-press-friendly, they all have the same issue-- space. It's difficult to even find extra counter space (or window ledge space or whatever) for flyers or postcards. These stores are often trying to maximize what space they have for items they can sell.

I've had good luck asking these stores to carry my books, though, either on commission (when they don't know me) or by straight purchase (when they do).

I'll name-drop some stores because they deserve the credit: In Toronto, I've had pretty good luck with The Beguiling, Silver Snail and Hairy Tarantula. They were pleasant to deal with and I want to thank them for their supporting a webcomic fella like me.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:15:47 PM by Rob »

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
You realize if Scott has a Google Alert set up for his name (and a guy like Scott who sees enemies in every shadow probably does) he will probably see that. Just FYI. Don't burn any bridges.  ;)
Aw, crud, you're probably right.  *edits*  But he IS.
/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
The names of those stores alone make them awesome.  :o

Offline raerae

• DA
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:09:48 AM »
I'm really not surprised the Dragon's Lair did that. I love that store. Too bad I don't live in Austin anymore.
RaeRae

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
I actually work in the Comic Book Shoppe in Ottawa--I'm posting this on my lunch, right now, actually. My boss is awesome--he's pretty good about promoting local events and artists, and our down town store has an Art Gala once or twice a year where local artists, amateur and pro, can display and sell their comic related art. It's a black tie event with wine and food, too. Pretty snazzy. =D

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
Ran, does Ottawa have any comic shows yet that are worth driving to? Last I checked there weren't any, but if there ever is one I will probably attend...

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »
There are a few that happen in Ottawa, but they're all warhammer/magic-cards/tabletop gaming or anime cons. Ottawa has one Anime convention called naru2u, but it's kind of ass. Most of the conventions, trade-shows and events that my store goes to are ones that we're willing to cart all of our stuff to Toronto for, anyways.

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
Well, if you're coming to a Toronto show (TCAF, perhaps?) let me know! :)

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
Haha, sure thing.

I'm headed out to Anime North, and I believe my store goes to Fan Expo every year, but I don't go with them because there's nothing worse than standing behind a dealer's room booth for three days with no chair and no real breaks. Sure, I'm paid, but I think I'd rather kill myself than do that again :S