•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Is Your Local Comic Book Store Webcomic Friendly?  (Read 43828 times)

Offline GaborBoth

Re: Is Your Local Comic Book Store Webcomic Friendly?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
Heh. You guys are hella lucky in the USA with comic shops. There is no ,,Local comic book store" here in Hungary, here we have ,,THE comic book store".

Yeah.   :-\
,,People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
Heh. You guys are hella lucky in the USA with comic shops. There is no ,,Local comic book store" here in Hungary, here we have ,,THE comic book store".

Yeah.   :-\

Actually, TTallan and I are both from Canada. And would you believe that my comic book store is called The Comic Book Shoppe? Hahah.  :D

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »
Ran you know the rest of the world just considered Canada a suburb of Buffalo... Canadians; Americans without guns and so on.  :D

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
Canada: Alaska's Mexico

I do feel fortunate that I have access to a friendly local comic book store. I know some parts of the province don't have a L.C.B.S. and fans have to pool together their resources to order direct from Diamond.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
Canada: Alaska's Mexico

I do feel fortunate that I have access to a friendly local comic book store. I know some parts of the province don't have a L.C.B.S. and fans have to pool together their resources to order direct from Diamond.

L.C.B.S.? Which store is that? I tried googling for a website, but no luck. Which province are you in?

Also, I was under the impression that diamond doesn't do that sort of thing--they require paperwork which proves that you're a real store and have a business license.  ???

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
Uh... I think L.C.B.S. probably stands for "Local Comic Book Store" and I think our fair Woodsman may not be up to date on his Diamond Publishing history.

Yeah Ran, I'm pretty sure you are right. Diamond made it pretty clear around this time last year that they were done with small comics and short print runs.

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:57 PM »
@ran

Yep, Rob is right, L.C.B.S. is the acronym for local comic book store. I see it used elsewhere and thought it was more common. My apologies.

It's very probable that a business license is required but I do not think a business license is too difficult to obtain. When I registered my Trade name, I was handed paperwork to fill out for a business license and I was given a gov't URL if I wanted to fill out the paperwork online. I'm in Alberta, so between Edmonton and Calgary there are a fair amount of rural towns, villages, hamlets, etc.. From what I've heard (so it may just be hearsay), you and your friends pool together your order to meet Diamond's minimum, maybe set-up an online presence [like an eBay store], and then you pick-up the box of comics that were ordered from the nearest FEDEX depot. Maintain that month after month, in order to keep a good standing with Diamond. Basically, operating the store out of your basement.

I can see how "fans have to pool together their resources to order direct from Diamond" misses all the details I just mentioned above.  :-[
I should have written that fans pool together their resources to become a comic book store and order direct from Diamond

@Rob

The article you linked describes how much harder it is for a small publisher to distribute with Diamond. I read Chris's blog regularly and I agree that the minimums will hurt up-and-coming artists and independent publishers. If I published a comic book, and not enough orders came in from the comic book stores, book 2 could no longer be offered through Diamond- regardless of its (let's pretend it's great) merits. The example that Chris used was that if Scott Pilgrim 1 was to be measured by Diamond's standards of sales today, there would not be a Scott Pilgrim 2.

Quote from: Chris Butcher
Fun Fact: Do you know what it costs to be a direct market retailer? $600 minimum order each month. A cost between 4 and 10 times less than what it costs to be a publisher, apparently. Figure that one out.

Offline SleepyKiks

• Samurai Princess
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
This can also be done with youth centers and libraries. Anywhere that wants to promote reading in the youth or in general is often not shy to leave some bookmarks and what not to the side for people to check out and pick up. That said, you can also look into free comic book day and possibly give out a free sample chapter of your comic. So just remember you are not limited to comic book stores alone.

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »
Excellent point, SleepyKiks

Offline D-Ballz

• Wonderland
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
I just remembered this thread.

Well, I was at my local comic store, Forbidden Planet, and asked them if they would be willing to distribute some mini-flyers advertising my comic if I printed them out and gave them to them.

They said they'd be glad to.

I then asked them if they had any job positions available, but it seems like that was pushing my luck a little bit, as they had just given away the last position.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 03:51:33 AM »
Ran you know the rest of the world just considered Canada a suburb of Buffalo... Canadians; Americans without guns and so on.  :D

As a rest-of-the-worldese pereson, I kind of consider Canada as the better America. The one with better healthcare and education, funnier accents, and not so much gun crime. I've never been, but TV portrays Canada as vaguely utopian.

Although the French Canadians are reputed to be Extra Rude, presumably to make up for them not actually being French.

Back on topic: There's a Forbidden Planet in Dublin, and they're pretty good about supporting local artists. In the late 90s there was a photocopier-produced-comics movement with maybe about 20 comics, and FP put up a stand for Irish Comics.  The stand is still there, and that little indie comics movement is what got me interested in making my own comics in the first place  :)

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
I've been to the southern states. The U.S. wins the funnier accents contest.  ;D

I really like the idea of comic shops promoting local talent by putting them together on a special stand (or rack, or shelf). Bookstores do this all the time, and it works great. People are interested in supporting the home team!

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
I've been to the southern states. The U.S. wins the funnier accents contest.

I've been to the NORTHERN states and that's a funny accent goldmine all on its own.

Any comic shop I've seen worth its own power bill has had an indie comics section. At present, I don't know for sure if my local shop would support webcomics, though I suspect they would. At the very least, I'm certain they'd let me put down flyers or something. I know the shop where I used to live did a lot to support our webcomics...we were even low-level celebrities there.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »
I've been to the southern states. The U.S. wins the funnier accents contest.
I've been to the NORTHERN states and that's a funny accent goldmine all on its own.

Yeah I live in Connecticut and I've got the Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine Yankee accent above me; the Boston-Providence Southie accent to the east, New York which has accents for every region (Brookly, Bronx, Long Island oh my GAWD LonGUILAND!)... even the Stamford-Greenwich area, CT has a good deal of that Thursten Howell III thing going on with all the insanely rich people.

I missed out on all of it. When I was in the Army people used to guess I was from Ohio. They said I had no discernible accent. As such I've always picked up a bit of local flavor somewhat unconsciously every where I go. When I was stationed in the south (Georgia) I actually picked up a small southern twang and I've noticed it happening to me whenever I talk to someone with a thick accent for a long period of time.

Fortunately they are either usually too polite, too oblivious or too tickled to say anything.

back on topic though, the local shops in my area that are privately owned will sell your mother on consignment if they have the space... at least in my experience. The corporate shops like Heroe's or Pink Pineapple you might have to deal with some area manager type but it's worth it if only to increase local awareness and that in turn may increase traffic at your next local convention which, considering that there is usually less traffic and housing costs involved is going to maximize profits.

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
For being such an artsy town, Austin's comic stores are pretty close-minded about comics.  The only exception is Dragon's Lair which recently hosted a Webcomics Weekend (with some big names - Jeph Jacques, Danielle Corsetto, Scott Kurtz...)  Other than that one, I haven't seen any postcards or anything related to webcomics.

I've noticed the same thing Amanda. Austin for hosting one of the bigger Indy conventions around (STAPLE) certainly doesn't support the small press creator and even less the webcomic creator. I've had little success getting stuff in a couple of stores, but honestly I have never set foot in the Dragon's Lair and now that I know about that one I'll definitely check it out! There's SO much creative talent in the Austin area you'd think we'd be in better shape!