•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Buttons!  (Read 27415 times)

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
Buttons!
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »
A lot of people are in the market for cheap buttons and pins and such.  If that describes you, might I recommend Small World Buttons?

Cheap, fast service, and great quality!  My experience with them was awesome - I got 100 one-inch buttons for under $30 including shipping and got the order within a week.  Another perk: you can have up to five designs without paying extra (that's uncommon).

If you have had good experience with a different company, I'd love to hear about that, too ^.^
/

Offline raerae

• DA
Re: Buttons!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:47:06 AM »
Oh, neat! I'd definitely bookmarking this for later use!

My only button experience has been with Purebuttons. While I do like them, their site doesn't particularly like me at times.
RaeRae

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:07:11 AM »
Thank you. I've been considering a dip in this pool.

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
I'm still fond of my old button maker that I bought from Badge-a-Minit. I began many years ago with the basic "starter" machine for $30, which can only do 2 1/4" buttons, and more recently bought the Bench Press machine that does 1 1/4" buttons as well. I recognize this system is not for everybody, but I love the versatility of making just as many buttons as I need and being able to change the designs whenever I feel like it. I've also found other uses outside of comics for buttons-- my dance group was looking for magnetic nametags, and I was able to buy the parts and supply them with magnetic nametag buttons which everyone seems to love.

Buttons are not a major moneymaker for me, but I always sell some at any convention I go to. They're fun. I can even bring my small machine along with me and make buttons on the spot!

Also, the customer service at Badge-a-Minit has been consistently friendly.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:57:00 PM by TTallan »

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
I ordered buttons from Spreadshirt once and they came in with a white ring around the outer edge (even though the design had a completely brown background) and of the eight I ordered six were dented, four badly. I wouldn't order from them again.

It's nice to know you folks have found some excellent alternatives. Making them yourself actually seems like a very cool idea.

I remember when Ed Ryzowski was doing his own comic at Geek Tragedy (now he's the colorist for Evil, Inc.) he did a comic where he was seductively talking to his girlfriend and he said the last line was something along the lines of "won't you come to my place and we'll make sweet sweet buttons all night long!" at which point she hangs up on him.

I remember buttons were a fairly big seller for him. Because he was often talking about getting more orders and the need to make them even though he was exhausted and behind on the comic itself.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
I have my own button maker =) Best investment ever.

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »
What's the average price for selling your own buttons?

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 02:43:04 AM »
We sold ours for $0.50 a piece or $1 for a four count variety pack.  Ours were the one-inch buttons, incidentally.  If you have the larger ones, you might want to up the price a bit.

I also saw a lot of people using buttons as freebies - with the prices Small World Buttons, spending $30 on what would essentially amount to advertising isn't a raw deal.
/

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
I sell my 2 1/4" buttons for $1, and my 1 1/4" buttons for 50ยข. Mostly they are impulse purchases for people already buying a book.

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
Does anyone use it as an incentive "Buy 2 books get a free button"?

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
I haven't tried that, but it sounds like an excellent marketing strategy!

Offline Pete

• Bardsworth
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Does anyone use it as an incentive "Buy 2 books get a free button"?
I think that the people who are going to buy 2 books are going to whether or not they get a button.  I don't honestly feel that a button is the deal-maker when someone is buying one book but debating whether or not to buy the second.  However, that being said, it's a nice bonus to give someone and it'll help make you stand out in their mind, so it wouldn't hurt.  I just wouldn't bother using it as an selling point.

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »
Quote from: Pete
I think that the people who are going to buy 2 books are going to whether or not they get a button.  I don't honestly feel that a button is the deal-maker when someone is buying one book but debating whether or not to buy the second.

You'd think so, but every marketing blog/book I've read recently has emphasized this point-- don't underestimate the power of the word "FREE."

Offline Pete

• Bardsworth
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
You have to understand that I'm coming from the point of view of a cynical marketing guy, which is my wonderful day job.  ;-)

But I will concede that marketing trends for conventions and such are skewed a little differently than those in the "normal world".  I guess the situation would depend on the prices of your books and the quality/size of the button being offered.  I'm coming at this from my experience, and I know it wouldn't work for me, but it could very well work for someone else.

Besides, someone has to play devil's advocate, right?

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »
Besides, someone has to play devil's advocate, right?

I know I appreciate everyone's point of view.