•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to get your Webcomic Site reviewed by a professional? Volunteer your site for review in this thread!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: another suitor for the princess  (Read 7098 times)

Offline ghostrunner

another suitor for the princess
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:35:29 AM »
heh, not really. jim dyar here of grin-n-spirit with a big shout out from the polar estates of maine  ;)

Offline raerae

• DA
Re: another suitor for the princess
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:38:11 AM »
Heya! Welcome to the forums! :D Make yourself comfortable.
RaeRae

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:57:48 AM »
Ghost!  *runs and pounces*  Hiya, lovely - glad to see you here.
/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »
Welcome. As a fellow frozen New Englander I feel your cold. In Connecticut I don't have it quite as bad. But it's bad enough. I can't wait to get away from it. 39 years (even some spent in Maine) is just so much more than enough.

How about some links to your comic or a banner or something so we can check your stuff out.

Once again, welcome.  ;)

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
I can't feel pity of either of you and your 'cold weather'. =P

Welcome aboard!

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
Oh you frosty northerners...

You could always come down to soggy Atlanta.

We get snow infrequently enough that I think of it as a good thing as opposed to the "oppresive blanket of white that will...not...leave...".

My family lives in the mountains of NC, and they have been blanketed with snow for much of this winter.

Offline Nuke

• Underling Comic
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
Man, I'm always in California for the winters. I've never even seen snow falling   :o

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Please don't feed the ancient deities.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
I've never even seen snow falling

The look on my face after reading this quote is both horrified and jealous.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
Why does it not surprise me that Nuke is a California boy?

And jeffa.... Georgia and I have a history... I did all my military training there (Ft. Benning) and was stationed there for a bunch of my time in service. I consider it the blasted lands ruled by Satan himself as the only good thing that ever happened to me in Georgia was getting out of it alive (and crossing through it on my way to Florida twice without incident... oh and the way cheaper gas on the Georgia side of the Georgia/Florida border).

I do remember when we got back to Benning after the war and all these southern guys in my unit had nice new cars from all the money they saved during the war and then we got like.... a half inch of snow and one of them flipped his car on the highway and a bunch of others got into wrecks and I was left scratching my head with my little beat up Honda wondering "what the hell is wrong with you guys it's a half inch of snow! Watching you drive is like watching de-clawed cats on ice."

Snow south of Baltimore=scary driving.  :P

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
Good to see you here, Ghost!

To go with the winter condition talk, I'd say black ice in Florida would be the most frightening thing...almost happened this year, too.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
Good to see you here, Ghost!

To go with the winter condition talk, I'd say black ice in Florida would be the most frightening thing...almost happened this year, too.

Nice... way to rub it in... thanks. Black ice is like an every day thing for five months out of the year here... but it ALMOST happened once there.  :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:08:50 PM by Rob »

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
My most memorable encounter with black ice happened at 2 am while crossing The Great Smokies National Park while playing the "Twice The Safe Posted Speed Game" with a buddy in college (and that is not just an attempt to be humorous... it was the actual moronic game we were playing).

I don't know if anyone reading this has ever made the drive from Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC, but we were right at the highest point near Newfound Gap... in a curve... in a 1977 Volkswagen Rabbit... doing a little over twice the posted speed limit... when we realized we were on a solid sheet of ice by a 400 ft cliff. I knew if I touched the brakes we were dead. Dead and probably not discovered for a long, long time (no skid marks to show where we had gone over since it was all ice).

The trip down the mountain to Cherokee featured a new game I call the "Don't Get Out Of Second Gear Game."

Ah to be a young idiot again...

Rob you are correct about the drivers here in GA. Really any weather event will cause havok. Snow, ice, rain, "sunshine slowdown"... Nobody is willing to adjust their driving to suit the weather (and not just young idiots either). My commute routinely sucks because of that fact.