•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to get your Webcomic Site reviewed by a professional? Volunteer your site for review in this thread!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Re: Modern art and the prejudice against Comics  (Read 14741 times)

Offline raerae

• DA
Re: Modern art and the prejudice against Comics
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »
I never said that they were looking for validation. Just that I couldn't do it. I need more freedom to work with than the 'production line' thing they have going, in addition to reusing the same characters over and over. They wanna work for them? More power to 'em.  ;D
RaeRae

Offline Yamino

• Patron Saint of Pregnant Nuns
    • Sister Claire: Pregnant Nun, Holy Crap!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:19:57 AM »
The only reason I used to them "self-validation" is because previous posters kept repeating it.  I totally agree with everything you said about the motivations for working for big superhero publishers, and I don't think that doing so means that one has less intergrity or anything like that.  It's a very different type of job, with different goals and benefits for those aspiring to it. =)

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:52 AM »
My guess? People who work for DC and Marvel like getting paid to write and draw comic books.

Just a guess.

Offline Nuke

• Underling Comic
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
There are a lot of artists at marvel and dc that do amazing stuff on their own time, often for free.

... I'd like to color or write a Marvel or DC comic. Not so capable with the line stuff. Also you can color completely digital if you want with them. More than that though I'd like to work on something with someone from Image or Dark Horse, they publish the more crazy/original stuff, and you still get paid :D

Please don't feed the ancient deities.

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
OK, I'm going to pull a Professor Farnsworth and go off-topic here.

ROB: When I read your story about getting into the fight and how it was not about art, all I could think of is what if it HAD been about art and it was a Tarantino film?

Can you imagine the fight scene as you beat that kid for all he was worth while asking him questions (in the voice of Samuel L. Jackson, of course):

"You sayin' sequential art can't be art?" Punch. "So by that rationale Egyptian murals and hieroglypics ain't nothin' but graphiti?" Punch. "How's this for breakin' the 4th wall, #@$$@#$ @#$@#$er?" Punch. "Am I filling you with a sense of post-modernist irony?" Punch. "How about an urban feeling of angst?" Punch. Punch. "Awe, now you starting to look like a Dali painting." Punch. "Man, you just call me MR. Picasso 'cause both your eyes on the same side your head now!" Punch. Punch. Punch.

I now return you to a serious discussion.

Offline Yamino

• Patron Saint of Pregnant Nuns
    • Sister Claire: Pregnant Nun, Holy Crap!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
LMAO! Oh man, Jeffa... I wish this forum had a "kudos" option, because I would have just given you three.  I was actually cracking up just reading that. XD

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
I know you aren't supposed to laugh at your own jokes, but I was laughing while writing that.  ;D

Offline Nuke

• Underling Comic
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
Oh man, I cracked up harder than I should have reading that. Excellent post, A++, would read again.

Please don't feed the ancient deities.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
 :D

Well don'e Jeff. Bravo. I wish I could say I was as cool as Sam J. but as I recall I finished that fight puffing like an 80 year old with emphysema and with a fat lip from the sucker punch.

The two brothers were going on about how he would have kicked my ass if I hadn't put him in a headlock and I said something really silly like "if I hadn't put him in a headlock I would have killed him."

He was on the ground unable to get up after I emphatically told him not to. LOL.

An in depth discussion of art and violence might be a bit much to ask of some 16 year old kids.

Still, the idea is amusing. I wish it had been about art. Perhaps it would have actually had a purpose beyond foolish male preening.  :P