•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Poll

Writing Challenge?

Yes!
11 (84.6%)
NO!
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: March 02, 2010, 02:59:11 PM

Author Topic: Writing challenge  (Read 9709 times)

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
Writing challenge
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
Ok. I've noticed that the writing board has been languishing, which is a goddamned travesty.

Writing is kind of an intrinsic part of the comicking process, even if words are only a third of the finished product. So, I propose a weekly writing challenge. Nothing too fancy. 2-5 pages of script inspired by a weekly theme.

The contest would work like this, somebody (I'd probably do the first one) would propose a phrase, or word as the weekly theme. You don't have to LITERALLY use the theme in your script, or make it the title the script. You'd have a week to write somewhere between two and five pages of script. Post them in the corresponding 'Writing Challenge' thread, where they'll be voted on by the WebComicsCommunity at large. The winner of each challenge will get to set up/host the next challenge.

Make sense?

Right now, I'm just kind of gauging interest. So if you want to start this in the coming week, vote yes.

If you have any questions, I guess post them below

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
Re: Writing challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
Sounds cool, though I'm still a bit burnt out from writing and defending my dissertation to participate just yet.

Offline GaborBoth

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »
I don't have my own comic yet but I'd love to try out writing like this - voted for yes.
,,People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."

Offline Hazumirein

• DreamCatcher
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
Sounds like fun :]

My only question is, what exactly constitutes a "script"? Like, a movie/play script-style piece, or just any writing that could be potentially put into comic form? Because, personally, I write my comic script in story format, just because it's easier for me that way. It's not a big deal I guess, just thought I'd ask. Voting yes regardless.

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »
My only question is, what exactly constitutes a "script"? Like, a movie/play script-style piece, or just any writing that could be potentially put into comic form? Because, personally, I write my comic script in story format, just because it's easier for me that way. It's not a big deal I guess, just thought I'd ask. Voting yes regardless.

Comic scripts are pretty loose and varied in terms of general format, but if there's enough interest, I'll post a little scripting tutorial before we get started.

Cool?

Cool.

Offline D.Z.

• Panthera
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
This is cool, but you know what'd be cooler? If we spaced it out over more than a week, and one of the resident artists volunteered to sketch up the winning scripts. (Spaced out over more than a week because I doubt anyone has free time to draw three extra pages of something every week.)

Offline GaborBoth

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:15:43 AM »
I don't think that's a very good idea, that'd mean much less writing. Also, no guarantee anyone will go ahead and draw that.

Maybe we should make page sketches by the beginning, just stickfigures and such. You gotta write a story with paneling in head, so I think that'd be good. This way we'd have to write just as much, and also practice paneling and test how our storytelling is understandable for others.
,,People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »
I'm with Bothy insofar as I think that having a secondary art portion of the challenge just kind of muddies the water and takes the focus off of writing.

That's more an art forum type activity anyhow.

And yeah, when writing a script, thumb-nailing  your page layouts is kind of invaluable. Whether you're drawing it yourself, or having someone else draw it.

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
I'm in.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »
Sure, I'm game.
/

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
Alright. The writing challenge will kick off on Friday. I'll try and work up a crash-course to scripting tutorial before then.

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
Yeh, this sounds like a really good exercise, I'd definitely like to take part. One thought, it might be more constructive if, instead of or in addition to being a contest, it could be a sort of workshop, or maybe just have separate threads where people can post the scripts/ideas they're working on and invite other writers to offer advice.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
Kid if you want to run with this then do it to it. We aren't getting any Gunbaby stuff anymore so if you want me to front page the Challenge on Sunday say the word and I will abide.
 ;)

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
One thought, it might be more constructive if, instead of or in addition to being a contest, it could be a sort of workshop, or maybe just have separate threads where people can post the scripts/ideas they're working on and invite other writers to offer advice.

Ideally, yes. The writing forum should be used for work-shoppy stuff as well as challenges, or just plain old advice. I'd prefer it, though, if for our purposes here (That's getting people writing), the writing challenge will remain, well, a challenge.

I'd suggest that if you need help with a script, just start a new thread and name the subject like this:

WORKSHOP: Living Dangerously with Jake Dangerous

Also, and the final post will parrot this as well, the scripts we're writing should be for all intents and purposes self-contained complete stories. Which means, we're all coming into this with no idea about your world or your characters so don't assume that we know/love them. Ideally your challenge scripts will center around entirely new characters, created for the challenge. Also, in the interest of completeness and clarity stories should have a beginning, middle and end and again, be understandable with absolutely  prior knowledge.

Robby:

Haha. At least wait for the challenge to go up!