•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Cartoonist Wanted  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Cartoonist Wanted
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
We don't really have a "job" board and I think it will have to be more than just me looking before I make one. But I felt I would be remiss if I didn't mention this to you guys, my friends and community. After much discussion and thought I've decided to hire someone to work on Remedy with me. I've posted the ad several places. Most of you have your own fish to fry/irons in the fire. But if you know anyone you think might be good for the role please give them my info and point them towards this ad.

Here is the ad copy.

Wanted: Cartoonist.

I’m looking for a new artist for the webcomic Remedy.

What I’m offering:

1)   $5 per comic, three comics per week. The comic is usually three panels but even when those panels are split the size and shape of the comic remains constant. So sometimes there is only one large panel. Once there was six. Usually, it’s three.

2)   In addition to the per page rate, backend profit sharing is available. This will be discussed in private with any applicants so that any questions or concerns can be promptly addressed.This excludes ad revenue which will be turned around and used to advertise Remedial Comics.

3)   Any commission work you get through the site you keep all money associated with that and we’ll do what we can to facilitate that on your behalf (set up a submission area on the forums or even a submission form or whatever you need to make that work). The artist also maintains ownership of any hard copies (assuming you don’t work all digitally) and can sell/donate them at his/her discretion.

4)   I assume all costs associated with running and maintaining the website.

5)   I’ll provide you the story scripts in the format you are most comfortable with.

6)   When it comes time to attend conventions I will pay for the cost of your entry to the convention as well as the table. Should you attend you will be responsible for travel expenses although this is something we can talk about and work out on a convention by convention basis.

7)   I assume all costs associated with merchandise. Of course merch sales will not be counted as profit until I recoup those costs. But I will assume the startup fees.

What I’m looking for.

1)   I’m looking for someone who wants to be a professional cartoonist and a partner in an online business. I’m in it to win it and I want someone who is as serious about being a professional as I am. I’m looking for someone who is self-disciplined and motivated. I need someone who understands that good content, delivered in a consistent and plentiful fashion along with accessibility is the key to building an online audience. I need someone who understands that meeting deadlines in this business is the difference between life and death for the comic. I need someone who can build and maintain a buffer.

2)   I’m looking for a partner. If you approach this gig as “doing your three comics a week” and nothing else then you are not the person I’m looking for. You have to want to work to make this succeed. I’m not going to be throwing extra work at you and demanding it get done for nothing. But when it comes to things for the readers, wallpapers, graphics to make the forum or site pretty, T-Shirt designs, that sort of thing; you have to want to do this stuff because it helps build the business. You have to want to work to make it a success.

3)   Someone who can attend conventions in the U.S. There are some amazing artists in other countries and I don’t discount for a second their skill but if they cannot attend Comic Conventions or the travel cost is so prohibitive that it makes it not worth it then you should probably look elsewhere. Folks in Mexico... well I have some experience in immigration law and I know what it’s like trying to get a visa to visit the U.S. from Mexico. It takes months and it can be extremely difficult if not impossible in some cases. Canada should not be a problem.

4)   You should be able to deal with people tactfully and courteously both on and offline. Have a professional attitude and treat your audience with a business-like appreciation. You must be able to work quickly and be capable of producing fast sketches for conventions and work well even when people may not appreciate the time or consideration it takes to complete said works, all while keeping a level head.

5)   You have to know how to pace yourself. Part of being a professional is not allowing yourself to get burned out on a project. You have to be able to get the work done on deadline and you have to know how much more you can give without doing too much. Like everything in life, it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon.

6)   You need to have the ability to make art with an intention for it to be printed. The rules for creating art on the internet (usually in RGB color and Jpeg format) and creating art for printing are completely different. You need to understand these rules and create art with printing in mind or be willing to learn before you even start drawing the comic. The same goes for things like T-shirt designs. You have to understand or be willing to learn the difference between drawing something for digital publication and drawing something with the intention of having it printed. The concern for print requirements has to come first.

If you want to know more about the comic you can check out the archive at www.remedialcomics.com. If you want to know more about me just ask. In essence though I’m an out of work paralegal who is transitioning to freelance writer. I’ve got a couple paid writing gigs under my belt so far but they are still a few months away from being published so I can’t publicly discuss them (I’ll be happy to discuss them with whomever joins up with me). I am also the founder of Webcomics Community (www.webcomicscomminity.com) a free gathering place for webcomics creators that updates three times a week with articles and reviews related to webcomics. Anything else you want to know just ask.

If you are interested please send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
Re: Cartoonist Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »
bump