•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Non-web Comics  (Read 12306 times)

Offline Doomami

• Cat
Non-web Comics
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
I have a theory. Out of all of us webcomic-lovers, there's got to be at least some of us who like print comics too. So I've started this topic to hear which ones you like the most. Note: all types are treated equal here, be it western comics, manga, manwha, or whatever. As long as I can go down to my local comic shop and pick it up.

I don't care how mainstream or artsy fartsy it is, if you love it, share it with the rest of the class. Wolverine in A Very Dragonball Z Christmas? Fine! Waldo Finds Himself? Fine! Also, it can be a series, miniseries, one-shot or anything else I've forgotten.

If you can link an image to a page or a cover of the comic, that'd be best. If you decide to link a page, try your best not to let it be a spoiler. I might want to read it someday!

(Note: We all know Watchmen is a great comic, but don't think you'll get intelligent points by claiming its the only one you've bothered to read.)

I'll go first to kick things off:

The Ultimates 1 and 2

One of the best I've read, I have nothing but respect for these comics. I didn't care about pretty much any of the characters within beforehand and now I want Captain America in every Marvel book. There is an Ultimates 3 out there, but that book is a travesty. Trust me.

Ultimate Spiderman series

My favorite version of the web-head in existence. Also worth noting is that it's over 10 years strong and every issue has been written by author Brian Michael Bendis. So if anyone out there is weary of American comics due to the swapping of writers, you've got no excuse to pass this one up.

King of Thorn

A relatively short suspense manga series about patients with a life-threatening disease being put in suspended animation only to wake up to a future where their medical facility is overrun with thorns and monsters. Both the art and story are top notch.

Death Note

It's popular for a reason, folks. If you haven't checked it out yet, get out from under that rock and take a peek. Warning: Reading it may cause joy.

Alright, I think this post is long enough. How about somebody else help me get this rolling, hmm?

Offline raerae

• DA
Re: Non-web Comics
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:13 AM »
I mostly read manga. Here's a few of my favorites.

Kuroshitsuji aka Black Butler. It's about a boy who made a pact with a demon to get his revenge.

Slayers. A fantasy-comedy about the Bandit Killer Lina Inverse who steals from bandits and and gives to herself.
RaeRae

Offline Miluette

• "I have darkness inside of me!" ~SpongeBob
    • Hub
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:53 AM »
I read Japanese and American comics. Mostly Japanese, but now building up a larger collection of English-language comics. Also building up a collection of webcomics in print.
I am too lazy to search for images.

Great comics:

- The Flight comics anthology series

- Excel Saga (better than the anime. way better.)

- Death Note (the only series I own completely)

- Descendants of Darkness

I also loved Watchmen WAY more than I thought I would. I need to be faster about reading Mushishi and Gintama as well.

Offline raerae

• DA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:03:59 AM »
Descendants of Darkness is one of my favorites too. It just came out of hiatus(although the sales of the current book will depend on whether the series will be continued or not).
RaeRae

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »
I occasionally read some marvel comics. I have to agree with you that Ultimates 3 was a travesty. I've read most of the other Ultimate Universe things as well. Actual superhero comics in the regular Marvel universe are often too dense in backstory and characters I don't know but am expected to know that I can't read them. I did read most of Deadpool and Agent X though - Deadpool is hilarious.

Other than that, I've read some of Alan Moore's stuff (Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), about three quarters of Y: The Last Man and a bunch of Mike Mignola's Hellboy.

Back in High School I used to read Naruto and Bleach, but that's not something I enjoy anymore.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 07:50:24 AM »
I stopped reading Ultimates after the "domestic incident" with Jan and Hank. Seeing a man beat his wife, spray her with poison, and then attack her with toxic, wild animals... it pretty much put me off the series.

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »
I am brand spanking new to print comics - the first comics I ever read were webcomics ^.^  Right now, I'm mostly sticking to graphic novels as I'm not ready to commit to a serial, but my "I've read this!" list is pretty limited at the moment.
I've read Watchmen and Top 10 and Road to Perdition.  Whee!  Road to Perdition was incredibly intense - I haven't watched the movie, but the comic was pretty great!
/

Offline 3XLT

• Tales of the Big City
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:32 AM »
I read a lot of print comics, mainly mainstream superhero comics.  I try to read other genres as much as possible.

My favorites right now are:
     - Fantastic Four
     - Avengers
     - Hulk
     - Green Lantern
     - Savage Dragon
     - Invincible
     - Fearless Dawn

Offline TheCow

• The Cow (A Superhero Comic)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:44 PM »
Best comic out right now: The Secret Six. Imagine The A-Team, but with super villains. It's one of the funniest things you'll ever read, while simultaneously one of the most horrifying and disturbing things you'll ever read. I'd suggest starting with the first miniseries "Villains United," and going on from there.

Second best comic out right now: The Incredible Hercules (which should be changing into "Amadeus Cho: Prince of Power" soon.) It's a good old fashion FUN comic. Now, that doesn't mean it isn't well written, or have dramatic moments. It's got nice writing on various levels, primarily its telling a story of the "heroic cycle" that Amadeus Cho (the 7th smartest person on the planet) is going through, as well as referencing the same cycle Herc went through back in the day. Also, it has the best sound effects I've ever seen in comics. "NUHKRAK!" for example is the sound of Thor (in a Hercules costume) kneeing Hercules (in a Thor costume) in the godly jewels.

One of my all-time favorite series is "Young Justice," really fun and funny series about the DC sidekicks. It was amazingly awesome, but got canceled for that god-awful Teen Titans cartoon, so I'm a little bitter about that. But it's an amazingly fun read.

I'm also collecting the tpbs of the "Justice League International," the Justice League series from the late 80s\early 90s. Again, lots of fun to read, with good characters and occasional drama. (A good way to get into reading them would be to check out the recent "Formerly Known as the Justice League" and "I Can't Believe It's Not Justice Leage!" minis.)

In case you couldn't tell, I really like fun comics. Keep the overblown angst, just give me good characterization with a good sense of humor.

Offline Nuke

• Underling Comic
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
The only print comics I've read recently are Runaways, Chew, and The Walking Dead. There's a couple of others that I've been meaning to read and should probably get on top of...

Please don't feed the ancient deities.

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
I've got shelves and shelves devoted to graphic novels that I've bought over the years! A selection of favourites include:
Zot! by Scott McCloud (sort of a superhero story)
Finder by Carla Speed McNeil
Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Sandman by Neil Gaiman (and various)
Black Jack by Osamu Tezuka
Hikaru No Go by Yumi Hotta and Takeshi Obata (Deathnote artist)
Kekkaishi by Yellow Tanabe

mwytrykus

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
I use to read a lot of comic books from DC, Marvel, Image, etc. These days I barely read anything.

My all-time favorite comic book series is Jeff Smith's Bone. I have all the individual issues as well as the nine color TPBs from Graphix.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »
I'm 39 and I was a comic-a-holic. Now I'm in recovery but it's a never ending process.

I have 4 cases of comics in storage. I try very hard to resist buying any these days.

I have an original Elseworlds "In Darkest Knight" where Bruce Wayne gets the Green Lantern ring instead of Hal Jordon. I have both Gen 13 and Spawn #1's (among very many other number 1's). I even have the beginning of the "Preacher" series.

I have the first 20 or so of the Nightwing solo series done by Dixon, McDaniel and Story including the Wizard 1/2. This was the series that made me go "WOW, comic art can be amazing." The art alone made the book worth reading but the story of a bunch of bodies washing up in Gotham harbor and Dick branching out to his own city (Bludhaven... Bloodhaven... I forget) to solve the mystery was loads of fun.

If you can't tell, I've alway been more of a DC guy than a Marvel guy but I do have some Spiderman, Avengers and Punisher stuff.

For example I have the entire Scarlet Spider "Clone Storyline" of Spider Man's from back in the 90's.

I used to have both Punisher and Punisher War Journal #1's but I sold them.

I have a signed copy of the Death of Superman but it has been opened.

I have original copies of "Kingdom Come" although I doubt they are worth diddly because I've read and reread them so many times.

I liked Hal Jordan but after the Coast City and Parallax thing I got really tired of his whiny crap. Both he and Green Arrow turned into a couple of badly written drama queens. So I'm actually much more fond of Kyle Rayner. I always loved to hate Major Force ever since they put an A-Bomb under some alien metal and made Captain Atom and when MF killed Kyle's girlfriend and then him discover her stuffed in his fridge... oh man I was hooked.

Nightwing is still one of my all time favorites. But I got into comics because of Barry Allen and the Flash.

I still love comics but once they brought back Barry Allen I just couldn't take it anymore. I had seen a lot of heroes fall and be risen again (the way Kevin Smith brought Green Arrow back to life was particularly awesome) but once they confirmed an afterlife with the way they brought Hal Jordan back as the Spectre and then Barry Allen... well death really just didn't seem like that big a deal anymore. Some heroes were on long trips through space that lasted longer than others were dead.

In fact I think I saw that as a joke in one comic where two heroes are catching up and the one says something like "yeah I was traveling this other galaxy trying to discover something or other and save blah blah blah so I was gone a couple years." and the other one says "yeah while you were gone I got killed by this one evil dude but I'm ok now."

Once the fear of death is taken away I just couldn't see the drama anymore. Worlds get destroyed, heroes die, blah blah blah. It all goes back to being ok at the end of the story arc.

So I'm pretty much done with print comics. For me, webcomics tend to be a lot more interesting and original. I do pick up the occasional graphic novel. I recently picked up Batman: Ten Nights of the KGBeast as I used to have original copies of it when I was a teenager. The story is good but the art doesn't hold up. And the fact that Batman basically left the KGBeast to die was so cool and original in that story. But since then; Dc brought him back again which is as I said, both lame and the reason I don't read print anymore. 

Offline raerae

• DA
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:03:32 PM »
I could never really get into superhero comics because they keep rebooting, actually.

I still grab comics I think look interesting or are recc'd to me, but I'm also mainly a webcomic reader. Most recent print stuff doesn't interest me...Kuroshitsuji was an exception.
RaeRae

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07:31 AM »
Quote from: Rob
So I'm pretty much done with print comics. For me, webcomics tend to be a lot more interesting and original.

Argh! Forgive my rant, but this sounds like exactly the same attitude I've been battling since I started making comics 15+ years ago. I've been saying since forever that there are comics to suit everyone's tastes, if they're willing to look. I've seen so many great independently published comics over the years that have struggled to get noticed, and if only they could get the exposure they deserved they'd be selling thousands of copies. The struggle was always getting them into the hands of the fans. I understand that in smaller cities and rural areas the comic shops didn't have the same diversity I was accustomed to seeing, but I talked to so many people-- even at conventions where there was a wealth of talent in Artists Alley-- that complained they didn't like comics because they didn't like superheroes or goth/horror (which was the other major option in the '90s, thanks to DC's Vertigo line), it made me want to tear my hair out.

Anyway. My point is, there are still plenty of print comics that are worth reading, with a range of genres just as interesting and original as what you see in webcomics. If you are a comics fan it's worth seeking them out. Many are available to borrow from public libraries (which is where the majority of my comics come from these days). Yes, webcomics are great and they are free and they've helped tackle some of that exposure problem. But there is so much amazing stuff available only in print, it would be a crying shame to forget about it, or to believe it was never there.