•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Books you read  (Read 9359 times)

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
Books you read
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
Obviously writing is very broad and even comic writing can and probably will be influenced by books. I personally have only started reading a lot recently (as many young people I thought reading took too much effort compared to TV, little did I know it was worth it) but I've quickly become a big fan of Neil Gaiman (Neverwhere), Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and Terry Pratchett (Discworld, but specifically the book that made me hooked was 'Mort').

What do you lot like to read?
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
Re: Books you read
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »
Books! My favourite topic! \o/

I am a huge fan of Pratchett-- I think he is one of the best writers around. If you like his style you should also try Jasper Fforde (start with The Eyre Affair). I recently finished his latest novel (and start of a new series) Shades of Grey, which was excellent.

Other than Pratchett, my favourite author is Lois McMaster Bujold (start with Cordelia's Honor). If I could ever tell stories and create characters as well as she does, I would die happy. Okay, and my other other favourite is Megan Whalen Turner, who hasn't published near enough books (but has one coming out next month and I CAN'T WAIT), but the ones she has done have places of honour on my shelves. Start with The Thief.

I'd love to hear more recommendations!

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
To quote Hamlet when asked what he was reading: "Words."

If I had to pick one favorite it would probably be John Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, and Cannery Row particularly.

I also love Hemmingway, Mark Twain, and Douglas Adams.

Science Fiction is my favorite genre. I don't know if he is in or out of favor at the moment, but I love Heinlein. Clarke, Niven, Pournelle, Asimov, Dick. Lots of SF writers.

I like poetry too. Tennyson especially. Langston Hughes was great.

Haven't had enough time to read for pleasure in a long time. Mostly been reading technical (programming related) books for the past number of years.

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
Ooh, Lois McMaster Bujold is awesome.  I'm a big fan of George R. R. Martin (though I'm a little irked at the time it's taking him to finish up book five in the series), and my favorite book is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

In general, I read entirely too much, and I don't have a genre preference.  I'll read anything (except Walt Whitman because gross).
/

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
I like reading short stories, especially humor stories, like by S. J. Perelman, Stephen Leacock, Robert Benchley and the like. I've always liked Agatha Christie and mysteries in general, and a bit of Shakespeare now and then.

-S

Offline raerae

• DA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
My favorite books:

The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling

Doctrine of the Labyrinth series by Sarah Monette

Havemercy by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett

Pretty much anything by Dianna Wynne Jones

I'm mainly a fantasy reader. I will give anything a chance, though.
RaeRae

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
I really enjoy Robert Benchley. One of the funniest guys ever. Glad you mentioned him, Harrington!

One of my favorite stories is his "A Good Old Fashioned Christmas" (or some variation thereof).

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »
I second Diana Wynne Jones!  ;D

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
I really enjoy Robert Benchley. One of the funniest guys ever. Glad you mentioned him, Harrington!

One of my favorite stories is his "A Good Old Fashioned Christmas" (or some variation thereof).

Oh yeah, that one was hilarious! I liked the one called "Family Life in America" too, about "realism" in literature. He was a great writer.

-S

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:34:15 AM »
I'm also a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft, despite the cringeworthy racist moments. What a bastard.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!