•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to get your Webcomic Site reviewed by a professional? Volunteer your site for review in this thread!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Favorite artists/art books  (Read 13204 times)

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
Re: Favorite artists/art books
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 03:48:34 AM »
Thanks! I got myself a Wacom tablet and Illustrator, I've been having a lot of fun with them and it's an art tools combo that really works for me. I've been really proud of Neko lately.

I checked out the new Sarah Zero yesterday when I saw you were on here - looking good! I love the one-giant-panel thing you're doing now.

This place actually kind of reminds me of the old Buzz boards in terms of atmosphere - Except there isn't a Squidi trying to piss everyone off  ;D

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »
Except there isn't a Squidi trying to piss everyone off  ;D

Obviously I need to try harder.  >:(

Offline plughead

• Digilife ain't easy.
    • Sarah Zero
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:48 AM »
Ha ha, Squidi!

The Squidi/Pockybot flame wars were the ultimate! I wish I would have archived that stuff!

Good times. I remember this one thread where a whole bunch of us were all having a convo about drawn vs sprite comics and I kinda chimed in with the need for webcomics to embrace concepts like facial expressions, acting moments, subtley, nuance and stuff like that. The discussion eventually turned into a flame war where people were accused of outright stealing each others pixels and recolouring the ones they invented on their own.

Ha ha Rob

You're a koo dude, but sorry, you could NEVER aspire to be so evil.

:)

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Rob - Squidi was a guy on the BuzzComix board who did an (actually pretty good) pixel art comic called A Modest Destiny. Unfortunately he was basically insane and kept accusing anyone who did pixel art in which the characters' heads were the same size as their body of ripping off his work. He also kept telling everyone else that their comics were terrible and generally trolling up the boards. He kept getting into big long arguments with a young Tim Buckley and this guy who called himself Pockybot (who did a nicely-drawn but difficult-to-follow comic of the same name) which went on for pages and pages.

Personally I had fun Squidi baiting. You could set him off on an enormous venomous rant by commenting on your cereal preferences, it was awesome. He was basically the ultimate jerk. He ended up taking down his site and archive, opting instead to sulk REALLY HARD.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »
So big Twilight fan then?

I should see Tim tomorrow. I've met him a couple times. He has a reputation that I've never seen him live up to. Nice guy.  :-\

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
Except there isn't a Squidi trying to piss everyone off  ;D

Don't tempt me, Frodo.

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 09:20:37 PM »
I remember both the Artxilla boards and the Valhalla Comics boards each having an angry troll guy similar to that back when those boards will still around. The Artxilla guy was a fairly standard troll that mainly just insulted the artists that posted there and their art, but the guy on Valhalla Comics would not only disparage the art of anyone that posted there, but eventually began hijacking almost every thread with lengthy diatribes on American politics (even though he wasn't American). I'm pretty sure it contributed to the demise of the board. I certainly didn't bother to post there anymore, and some of the other regulars complained or disappeared as well.

I don't think it's coincidence that all these boards are gone now.

I got this one book that blows me away every time I scope it:

Oxide2 Carta Numinous - Kim Hyung Tae

I have that book too! I think he's an excellent artist.

I also have Sweet Dreams and Wild Flower by Shunya Yamashita which rank up there among my favorites as well.

-S
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:24:31 PM by HarringtonAW »

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »
Way to bring us back on topic, Harrington! 

Way to make me self-conscious about my hairy feet Gibson  :'(

Offline operationremie

• i will no longer post.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
http://elysianorchid.deviantart.com/

she's been one of my best friends for 6 or 7 years now. she got me back into drawing. she's a true inspiration.