•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to advertise on our front page for FREE? Just go to this thread for details.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 7709 times)

Offline Beyla

Hello All
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:06:16 PM »
Heyas, I'm Beyla and I'm an aspiring comicker.  Hope to make a go if it and learn a bunch here.

Like how to not make a scanner die within two weeks of opening the box.

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
No hammers.

I'm serious. No hammering your scanner with a mallet. Breaks it every time.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
Welcome Beyla.

My artist just got his new scanner so I would very much appreciate it if you kept your scanner killing germs all to yourself.  >:(

Seriously though... 30 day return with a receipt is the law in most states. Just return it, get your money back and go buy another brand or buy it at another store if you can get your actual money back and not a store credit. Don't tell them it's broken though. Sometimes if it's a defective return they insist you send it to the manufacturer which is a nightmare of lag times and package deliveries.

When they ask you why you want to return it just say "It's the coloring (of the printer) and font used; they offend my heritage." Don't say what your heritage is (whatever it is it obviously doesn't matter for this exercise). If they ask tell them it's none of their business. They'll think you're nuts and just give you your money back. LOL  ;D

Looking a little shifty eyed couldn't hurt.

Once again very much welcome. I hope you find what you are looking for here.  ;)

Offline D-Ballz

• Wonderland
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:43:55 AM »
Welcome to the site!

I've also just started a comic, and by the looks of this place, it's a very good place to learn.

To quote the knight in Holy Grail, "you have chosen wisely."

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
Hi Beyla, welcome to the site!

I've gone through a couple of scanners, I'm not sure what brand is the most reliable, but I've had my Canon MP220 for nearly two years now and it hasn't given me any trouble (and it was only about €50). General maintainance- remember to turn it off when it's not in use, try not to get it wet, don't feed it after midnight, and don't hit it with a hammer.

Offline Beyla

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
why does everyone assume I'm use percussive calibration for all my electronics woes?

Offline D-Ballz

• Wonderland
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:57:19 AM »
why does everyone assume I'm use percussive calibration for all my electronics woes?

You mean to say you don't? Normally, when something in my house doesn't work, I hit it, and it works again... I kicked my computer once, and it did really did the trick. Sometimes, giving it a good smack is the best thing to do... Unless it's a scanner.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
I'm a firm believer in percussive maintenance.  ;D

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Hi Beyla!  I'm a little late on the welcome wagon, but they all left without me and I had to run and I'm a terrible runner and I'm slow and kind of lazy but I made it so I hope I'm not too late.  *pant pant wheeze*
/

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »
I'm a firm believer in percussive maintenance.  ;D

Something pertinent from 2005...http://www.nekothekitty.net/cusp/daily.php?date=050331

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
Well while I can't tell you specifically how to not kill yours, I can tell you from first hand experience that when you plug in the wrong DC power supply, even though it looks for all the world like it fits, that's pretty much a wrap. I did that when we moved last year and killed the hell out of a perfectly good A3 scanner. But the good news is I bought a new one and I like it better, plus I have FAR more resolution with the new one! woo! Upgrade by scanner slaughter!

Offline Beyla

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
My pennies and dimes have added up to a new scanner!    With any luck my comic, Dogboning, will have it's very own inaugural episode on this very night!  My heart holds a great trepidation, for I have been vexxed multiply so in matters technological, but there is a maintenance of hope dwelling within.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:15:14 PM by Beyla »

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
Good luck! I hope the launch goes well.