•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Banners  (Read 28738 times)

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
Re: Banners
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks I was actually pricing out this very thing today. Now I have a recommended place to start. Much appreciated.  ;)

No problem at all sir! I can have my wife break mine out and take pictures if you want so you can see what you're getting, but it's pretty sweet. I opted out of the fitted version simply because I want it to be flexible and it was a damn site cheaper. I did kinda dig the whole fitted look, but at the end of the day versatility was my main focus next to quality and longevity, and the throw was the way to go. You can get as crazy as you want though, velcro backing removable panels, all sorts of crazy stuff.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
Yeah I'm going to have poles on all four corners of my table so I'm hoping to find something that can cover that up. I want something that will adapt to the slightly different table sizes from con to con and allow me to put something around the outside edge that will wrap around the poles too. So they don't stand out.

It hasn't been easy even finding anything that will fit that bill. So I'm still looking.

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
Yeah I'm going to have poles on all four corners of my table so I'm hoping to find something that can cover that up. I want something that will adapt to the slightly different table sizes from con to con and allow me to put something around the outside edge that will wrap around the poles too. So they don't stand out.

It hasn't been easy even finding anything that will fit that bill. So I'm still looking.

Have you considered using clamps, like the wood clamps they have at Lowes? This way that doesn't affect your table throw/banner at all and you can attach the poles right to em. Check this out, I found it quite helpful and informative:

http://www.bugpudding.com/bristolboard/2010/03/convention-and-show-display-design/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »
I am without words. I mean. I don't want to disparage someone else's display (and yet here I go). But that looks like a train wreck waiting to happen to me. I see the way they have that set up and I think one good bump to that table and it would be raining buttons and pinups for a week.

On the flipside that certainly shows a fun and haphazard nature to the gonzo business that is webcomics. I would say that my criticism should be taken from a "that's not my style" sort of perspective. If they like it and it works for them then I say bravo on the MacGuyver-Like innovation there. I'm looking for something that looks a little slicker than that though.

I want my artist to be able to have table space to work on too so there are issues with how much stuff I'm willing to cram in there.

However, this has inspired me to make a diagram of what I am doing and maybe take some pictures. I bought most of the components today. Tomorrow I'll start making the alterations I need made and I've made an appointment with a local print shop I've been talking to for mid next week. I'm going to go down there, set it up and together we are going to figure out how to put some sort of banner or wrap on the upper part.

Once I have the dimensions, cost and materials of what I'll be using I hand that off to my artist to design the thing and once that's done, back to the printer to have it made. If all goes according to plan it should look pretty spiffy with lots of customization possibilities.

More to follow. Although I may move it over into a full on con booth discussion since we have decidedly moved away from banners alone at this point.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 08:12:34 AM »
If you're good with clay (or know someone who's good with clay) maybe you could have little sculptures of characters built around the bottom of the poles to anchor them and hold them up? That's just a thought, I don't know how well it would work.

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
Even if that might not be logistically feasible, that's still a really cool idea.