•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
Greetings!
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »
Hello all! This looks like a fairly hopping community over here and since I'm dipping my feet in the webcomics pond I figured why not sign up and see what I can both learn and contribute! Comics wise I'm something of a hybrid publisher. I just got done releasing a print series called Fallen Justice, and now that we've completed that we've moved on to our web series Dynagirl! For those interested check it out at Dynagirl My main studio website is Red Handed Studios where we do our best to make great comics and have fun doing it. See you guys around!

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:33 AM »
Hi Cary, welcome. I checked out Dynagirl, the art is solid. It was a little heavy on cover pages, but it was easy enough to read and certainly has potential. I'm also a print-turned-web comicker, so I know how weird it can be making the transition. Don't be afraid to ask questions, this is a safe place to admit how little you know.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:41:42 AM »
Welcome. I like the art and the story so far. I hope you tell us more about YOU at some point (kinda the point of the thread as opposed to the "Pimp Your Comic" thread which is where... you guessed it... you pimp your comic.... but that's cool a lot of people do it this way).

Feel free to kick the tires and take her out for a spin. Just have her back by 11:30.

Once again, welcome.  ;)

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:49:35 AM »
Absolutely. Welcome! The art certainly is impressive but, like Rob said, tell us about you!

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:32:08 AM »
Yay, welcome to the fun, Cary ^.^
/

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
Sorry about that guys I didn't go down far enough to see the pimping section so I used a general into to start off with.

Let's see about me...lol

I learned to read from comics when I was four, my dad started buying them for me every day because I was going to work with him and he didn't need a 4 year old running amok around a construction site. So I learned to read from Spiderman, Batman, and the Flash. The Flash still happens to be my favorite hero to this day, but Nightwing is a close second. Always did love the Teen Titans!

After I got out of high school I took a pass on a scholarship to enter the Navy where I rode Submarines for five very long years. After getting out of the Navy I went o commercial dive school and started a fascinating career as a commercial diver. I say that with all sarcasm because while diving sounds really cool it's actually pretty mundane. Once you dig a big hole in the ocean floor you've pretty much dug all the holes you need to dig, you know? It's just a job. I've been at it for about 15 years now, and I'm pretty much sick of it. Right now I work a 4 and 2 schedule, meaning I'm offshore for 4 weeks and home for 2. But at least they have the internet!

So, I'm also a full time student and about 18 months from finishing my degree, at which point I'll probably go into teaching at least for a bit. I'm not sure what I want to do long term, but teaching will get me home full time and away from the offshore grind, and it'll also allow me to spend more time with my family!

Speaking of family, my wife and I were married just over a year ago at a Ren Fair in Texas and had a blast doing it. Best Wedding Ever. Since then we've been busy, and our first baby, a boy, will be born in July. WOO! He's healthy by all accounts, which is a most excellent thing. We're naming him Logan, because...dad's a total comic geek. :)

What else? Oh, we're living in Austin Texas, and that's pretty much where we're staying. I won't say there's not enough money in the world to make us move, but since my wife's a teacher, and I'll be teaching soon as well it's not like we're in high demand for some sort of cross country moving offer anyway, and we love Texas. I was born and raised here and my wife's been here for 20 years so we're as Texan as it comes till you get to football. I'm a diehard Cowboys fanatic and she roots for her hometown team the dreaded Patriots. So football season is a little contentious around the Kelley household!

Hobby wise (outside of comic book reading collecting and all), I play volleyball, racquetball, pretty much anything but golf. I read a lot, I love movies, and I'm a music nut, mostly alt rock. I just bought a new bicycle and I love it, so I can't wait to get home and ride it some more.

I've been making comics in one form or another since I can remember, but I only got serious about it 6 years or so ago. I've entered a couple of contests, done pretty well, and published some books so I'm happy with the progress thus far at least. It's definitely a journey!

And that's pretty much me in a nutshell! Glad to be here and I hope to get to know everyone here as we move along!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »
Awesome man. What are the odds that you basically sited my same favorite comic book heroes in the same order I favor them.

Of course we need to clarify. When you say Flash you do mean the real Flash... Barry Allen right?

Wally's not bad but he's a bit of a whiner. Actually... he's a serious whiner. Bordering on emo.

After that I too love Nightwing. I have the first 25 or so issues of the solo series including the Wizard 1/2. When Dixon, McDaniel and Story were running things... man it just didn't get any better. Once they broke up that team I stopped following it (actually that was right around the time I stopped buying pretty much all comics). I always liked the Teen Titans too. I used to have all the first issues with Raven when she formed the first team (not the very first silver age one back when it was Wonder Girl, Robin, Garth and Speedy by themselves) to fight her father the demon Trigon... and that whole storyline where Tara turned out to be a traitor and was screwing Deathstroke the whole time she was leading on beast boy. Man those were some great books. But alas they are lost to the ages now. I have my favorites at Marvel but I've always favored DC.

Congrats on the nuptials and the forthcoming rugrat. Sounds like you are going through a lot of big life changes all at once. Good luck.

And once again, welcome.  ;)

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

Of course we need to clarify. When you say Flash you do mean the real Flash... Barry Allen right?

Wally's not bad but he's a bit of a whiner. Actually... he's a serious whiner. Bordering on emo.

I like Wally well enough, and I was on the side of not bringing Barry back because I loved the heroic death he had...but Barry Allen is the one true Flash no doubt about it. Wally, even a super faster Wally, is ALWAYS gonna be Kidflash to Barry's Scarlet Speedster. Some kids can grow up and take on the mantle for a time, but at the end of the day you don't walk, or run, in Barry's shoes. Even Wally knows that.

Offline Dragon Powered

• Senior Web Correspondent
  • Administrator
  • Fractured
    • Dragon Powered
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
A little late, but a hearty WELCOME! just the same.  Look forward to talking with you further, but for now I must be off.

*waves*

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »

I like Wally well enough, and I was on the side of not bringing Barry back because I loved the heroic death he had...but Barry Allen is the one true Flash no doubt about it. Wally, even a super faster Wally, is ALWAYS gonna be Kidflash to Barry's Scarlet Speedster. Some kids can grow up and take on the mantle for a time, but at the end of the day you don't walk, or run, in Barry's shoes. Even Wally knows that.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:54 PM »
Awesome, I live in Austin, too =D

Are you planning to make the DWEX trip in August?
/

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
Awesome, I live in Austin, too =D

Are you planning to make the DWEX trip in August?

Small world! I'm...not sure what the DWEX trip is...are you talking about a convention? I'm definitely hitting WW Texas in November.