•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Dynagirl  (Read 6040 times)

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
Dynagirl
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
Ok so I finally found the proper place to pimp the comic. :)

Here's the link:

Dynagirl

One question I did have was someone mentioned it was "a little heavy on cover pages". I'm not sure what that means. Are you talking about splash page usage? There are only two in the first issue...so I was curious as the comment. Anyway, thanks for checking it out and for the warm welcome!

Offline Hjels

• Quick Time Moral Choice Blog
Re: Dynagirl
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
I like the art style and the composition of your pages. I also like they way you play with perspective. Gives the art some movement.

If I was to complain about something, it would be that some panels seem a bitter cluttered with too much detail, making it a bit hard to to find a focus.

Dialogue seems quite good as well, though it's hard to get a proper feel for it until I've read more of it.

I like it. :)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
I endorse this product and or service.  ;D

I don't think you can please everyone 100% and I think most folks would be extremely happy if this was their comic. The art is exceptional. The story is a little predictable so far (the hero in hiding getting propositioned by a stranger representing a business entity has happened so often it's actually bordering on cliché at this point) but predictable for some equals comforting and familiar for others.

If I may make a suggestions... and this goes for anyone who has print versions of properties that they did not make available on line... but especially if the properties are related like your Dynagirl and Fallen Justice; I would recommend selling a downloadable .PDF version of your Fallen Justice books.

Yes I know hard copies are available through Indyplanet and yes selling .PDF versions will impact those sales but once you finish the initial file setup there is no other overhead (beyond bandwidth I suppose) so there's a much higher profit potential. People who come along and enjoy Dynagirl for free will feel a strong motivation to be able to read the related (and at this time anyway, much more content filled) Fallen Justice. I know I do.

My author friend EE Knight has publicly stated that electronic sales are an ever increasing portion of his overall sales and I read a story just the other day from some authority that predicted electronic sales will outpace hard copies in five years.

Instant gratification is an EXTREMELY strong sales motivator. One of the reasons webcomics work so well is that our "customers" are but a click away from our free product. Being able to order from IndyPlanet is really nice and all. But tell me I can read the whole story now by buying a .PDF, and reduce the cover price to reflect that you are "sharing" the reduction in overhead with me (since I'm not getting a hard copy I can keep) and you are much more likely to get a bunch of impulse buys.

Yes there is also the issue of piracy. But if tons and tons of people are stealing one of your properties... man what a great problem to have huh? Just make some more properties and cash on it differently.

Other than that I'll say I really like what you are doing so far with Dynagirl.

MOAR!

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:05:06 AM »
I wish like hell I could take credit for the art, but it's fully not mine! Harold is a madman and he's a GREAT guy to work with. I couldn't have asked for a better partner in crime that's for sure!

Rob, you make some excellent points that I honestly hadn't considered to any great degree. My actual plan was to get the Fallen Justice trade print run in, see how my sales were from that, and then decide to either go back to press with another run if sales and demand warrant that, or rock it, just like Dynagirl, as a webcomic. After reading what you're saying here the PDF download thing really seems like a no brainer, you know? I have everything I need to make it work, I could sell a few pages of ads per issue, toss in a select bit of the extra content I've put into the trade and pretty much ride the fence between the best of both worlds. Cool! I like it and I'll make it so asap!

And thanks guys for the kind words. I agree the beginning is a bit cliche in places but I promise we depart from that fairly quickly. :) If there's one thing about Dynagirl, it's that she truly has the most screwed up life this side of the Jean/Scott/Emma love triangle. We're gonna put her through her paces pretty heavily coming up here real soon!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:49:27 AM »
Soooooooo.

Free copy of Fallen Justice for me for coming up with such a great idea right?  :-*
 ;D

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »
Soooooooo.

Free copy of Fallen Justice for me for coming up with such a great idea right?  :-*
 ;D

I can probably swing that! I'm in good with the guy who puts out that series! :)