•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: New York Comic Con  (Read 40626 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
New York Comic Con
« on: June 11, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »
If anyone is interested in exhibiting at NYCC in the webcomics pavilion I need to hear from you now. You should indicate whether or not you want a table to yourself or whether you would be inclined to join up with others.

If you answer is "depends on how much it costs" then I can tell you it will run between $250-500 dollars depending on a lot of things I'm trying to work out right now. The table space at those prices will be at least half a six foot table but more than that I can't figure right now. Depends on how many people respond and what they want to do.

The con is October 8th, 9th and 10th and they are expecting.... I shit you not, eighty thousand people over the course of that three day period.

I'm sorry but there may not be a lot of time here. You may want to decide quickly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:44:25 PM by Rob »

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
Re: New York Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »
I'd LOVE to get in on this if there's space available. I tried getting my own table in Artists Alley but I got turned down. So yeah, I'm very interested!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
Uh... yes but could you answer the question asked please?  ;D

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
Rob, what's included for the $250-500 in terms of passes/dealer tags/admission? Is only one tag included and if so, how much would a second tag cost?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
Gib it depends on what I end up doing. If I get a bunch of people who want to do a big "Webcomics Community" area then the price per comic goes down and our shared area gets larger and then the size of the area dictates the number of badges involved. If someone just wants their own table it's going to be like $500 (maybe... like I said a lot of this is in flux) and I'm pretty sure that includes 2 badges (I can say for certain it includes 2 chairs but I need to confirm on the badges... see why I didn't want to get too specific?).

I can tell you once you are "In" extra staff badges are $50. That much is pretty plain on the contract.

Offline Cary

• I like monkeys!
    • Dynagirl
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
Sorry...you mean would I want a table of my own or want to share one? I'd do either. It would be more economical it seems like to share, so that'd be my preferred method, but push comes to shove I'll take my own table.

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »
I hate to say this, but I couldn't do any more than express interest without knowing at least some specifics. I certainly couldn't commit. The $250-500 price gap is pretty big and without knowing whether it'd be extra for my collaborator. I do wish I had a more definite answer, but without knowing specifics, I wouldn't know if it was something I could afford.

Offline JR

• Young Cannibals
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 04:39:15 AM »
I'm not in a position right now to utilize this opportunity, but there might be a possibility that I attend this convention anyway(I helped out a friend during last year's con).  It'll be a great chance meet up with fellow creators.  Besides... New York is friggin' fun.  The bars stay open till 4am.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
I'm not asking for anyone to give me money or sign a contract right now. What I want to know is, given the amounts I've described, if you (that's the generic you not pointed at anyone specifically) would be interested in exhibiting at the convention.

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
I'm afraid at that particular point in time I'll be hip deep in a whole new set of debt and likely working on fixing up whatever house I buy.

Offline Swinsea

• Under the Apple Tree
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
I'm kind of interested, but only if the space was shared with several people to bring the costs down. Let's say four creators share a table...

$600 (500 for table, 100 for two extra passes so everyone gets one) divided by four is $150 each to get a table, plus an extra $50 for anyone who wants more than one pass.

I want to go, but unfortunately I'm in the running for a new job that might make it impossible due to a work schedule conflict. I just thought sharing the little bit of math I did to figure out what kind of investment it would be. (Plus hotel, travel, food, etc.)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Four people at one six foot table seems entirely unrealistic. I mean... I haven't been to a lot of conventions but that's less than a foot and a half of table per comic. I've been confused who I'm talking to when a six footer is shared by two people. I can't imagine trying to figure out what's going on with 4.

I know $500 seems like a lot of money (considering the same space in the exhibition area is $900 and the sheer size of the convention I really don't think it is). But there are going to be 80k people there. If you have anything to sell there's always the chance you will earn it back.

For me the hotel thing is moot. I live 90 minutes or so from Manhattan so I can drive in. I'll be a little more tired than everyone else because of the 3-4 hours of driving a day but I'll get to sleep in my own bed.

Offline ScottLincoln

• CT Webcomic Creator
  • Am I There Yet?
    • Ralf the Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
October... that might be do-able... I'll have to hash things out and see if I'm free and able to come up with the cash, but I am interested.  ;)

Offline JadedGuy

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
i want to =O
though i might not be  good enough

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
I really want to be a yes for this, because I was at C2E2 and saw how well their webcomic pavilion worked, and it'd be a lot of fun, I'm sure. Talking with my collaborator/wife, though, we realized the money is a big issue, the amount for the table far less so than transportation and (gulp!) accommodation. Even if we were splitting space, for us both it would run into $1000 territory, which is just more than we have.

I'm still going to try to figure out a way to say yes, but you should count me as a no. Sorry Rob.