•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to get your Webcomic Site reviewed by a professional? Volunteer your site for review in this thread!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Amateur to pro, how to go?  (Read 11518 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Amateur to pro, how to go?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
No offense, Rob, but when someone is all beefing it's got to be about peers if you trying to big up.  What we got is beef making no sense. 

I'm going to need an English translation on this.

As for Scott, I think we've beaten that dead horse 'till there's nothing left but pulp. No need to rehash his issues with me here. I will continue to try and mend fences. Scott will continue to be Scott.  :-\

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »
Really, Kurtz has smurf just because you got yourself a webforum full of amateur comickers?  I heard things about the man, but always figured that was just an interpretation of a projected persona.  No offense, Rob, but when someone is all smurfing it's got to be about peers if you trying to smurf up.  What we got is smurf making no sense.  That ain't right.

That any better?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 05:15:41 AM »
LOL. No. Worse actually.  :D

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »
I believe it's meant to say that Kurtz has a problem with you because you're trying to steal his thunder.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
Hmmm. Well if that is the proper interpretation of Beyla words then I'd have to say that I can't really respond. I don't know exactly why Scott has a problem. I'm not a mind reader. I just know he does. And I'm not trying to steal anything from him. The Half-Pixel guys abdicated the free creator forum when they deleted the old forum, told everyone that they didn't owe us a free forum and that if we didn't like it we should go start our own and then went behind the pay wall with their new one. :-\

Offline mcfadyn

• Eat lightening, crap thunder!
    • Louder than Bombs
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
Eh.  The half-pixel guys seem to think that they invented the webcomic.  I know on numerous occasions, people have commented to Scott about being the 'Godfather of Webcomics', and he has feverishly protested that he isn't close to such a thing.  I don't think that those guys are too arrogant or anything like that... but I do think that write a type of manifesto detailing their model of webcomic-ry is a bit arrogant.  Saying that there is just their way to make money at this thing.  I may be off base here though since I haven't actually read the book.  But I'm sure there are loads of amazing comics out there that don't follow their pre-made business model and make a good enough living out of it. 
Sometimes, you have to take a step back and access the fact that you're a moron.  What?  Well you ARE.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:52 PM »
It's been a while since I read my copy, but I actually have to side with Rob. It's pretty detailed and addresses shit that I hadn't ever thought about before, as well as reiterates the kind of stuff I found myself telling people on the smackjeeves forums every day; don't put the cart before the horse--don't be thinking about t-shirt designs and putting up a store before you even have ten pages up, consistently update to the best quality that you are capable of, don't spend a million bucks on advertising before you have enough content to actually keep people there, don't assume that there's some magical formula that will make you successful, and so on. Stuff I think everyone should know, or even have shoved down their throats as soon as possible upon entering this scene.

It covers a lot of the business aspects that aren't actually about making webcomics, so if I want to know how to prep my book for print in indesign or quark, or prepare for a convention, or set up a con toolkit, or order a banner, or code an ad-chain--all things I may have to eventually consider, then it's all there in one place and I don't have to google for hours to recall it.

The other books you've mentioned are invaluable, yes, but don't discount this one before checking it out. It's pretty handy, overall.

PS~ Welcome to the forum, wordgunofanun =P