•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Just changed the layout of my webcomic  (Read 23645 times)

Offline Kalegiro

• A new life
Just changed the layout of my webcomic
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:41:46 PM »
I know you're not going to know how the webcomic looked before but I would just like some advice on how to be better and stuff...

You can find my webcomic Here!

And The webcomic also has facebook, twitter, RSS feed and a devArt account here:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:56:23 PM by Dr. BlkKnight »

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Just changed the layout of my webcomic
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »
You know you can also volunteer your site to be critiqued by a professional web designer for a front page article here.

http://forum.webcomicscommunity.com/index.php/topic,485.0.html

I'm getting read for a con right now but if I find the time I'll try and take a look and give you some feedback.  ;)

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 07:22:28 AM »
You've got a good style, art-wise. A solid foundation. Some good characterization and a nice hook with the moving from a Spanish speaking country to an English speaking one. I had some problems with your site. Your comic pushed itself down below your banner ads. I don't know if this was a browser specific problem or a site specific problem, though.

Offline Kalegiro

• A new life
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:15:02 AM »
You've got a good style, art-wise. A solid foundation. Some good characterization and a nice hook with the moving from a Spanish speaking country to an English speaking one. I had some problems with your site. Your comic pushed itself down below your banner ads. I don't know if this was a browser specific problem or a site specific problem, though.

Really?
Dang...  that's new; I tried using all browsers (at least the browsers I have... I.E. , Safari , Firefox, Chrome and Opera)
And that never happened to me.

Uhmmm...  I don't really know how to fix that o___eU

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:21:35 AM »
It might be a resolution problem. I looked at your site on my netbook which has a lower resolution than, say, my art computer.

Offline Dragon Powered

• Senior Web Correspondent
  • Administrator
  • Fractured
    • Dragon Powered
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
Yeah, it's a window-size issue.  Your site is set to full width and expands with a wider window, but unfortunately doesn't have a minimum width so a narrower screen resolution makes everything wrap.  In fact, the division for your content is called "wrap".  Go figure.  If you look at the layout code, it's a mess. Sorry.  There is actually a separate page dropped into the main page, not by using a frame but rather inside a division.  It even includes an additional <head> and <body> area and it's own css file.

Could definitely do with a bit of tidying up.

Offline Kalegiro

• A new life
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »
Yeah, it's a window-size issue.  Your site is set to full width and expands with a wider window, but unfortunately doesn't have a minimum width so a narrower screen resolution makes everything wrap.  In fact, the division for your content is called "wrap".  Go figure.  If you look at the layout code, it's a mess. Sorry.  There is actually a separate page dropped into the main page, not by using a frame but rather inside a division.  It even includes an additional <head> and <body> area and it's own css file.

Could definitely do with a bit of tidying up.

I see...
The thing is... I know very little (if not nothing) about HTML coding, so I probably screwed something up there.
And I don't really know how to fix it...

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »
Anyone with some skillz wanna take a look at Kalegiro's code and help him out? :-\

Offline Dragon Powered

• Senior Web Correspondent
  • Administrator
  • Fractured
    • Dragon Powered
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »
Well, I'm sure I could look at it sometime.  Right now things are a bit hectic though.

The first thing I could suggest is to change the style attributes of your #wrap division to an actual pixel width instead of 75%, and make the page itself a set width instead of scaling.  Or another trick, since you use some tables, is to insert a 1 pixel high transparent bar at the top or bottom of the cell.  Make the bar's width the absolute minimum width you would want your site to display at, and your table will always stay at least that wide regardless of cell width settings. 

I'll give more later after I get a chance.