•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Steps before going to a convention  (Read 13325 times)

Offline LegendWoodsman

Steps before going to a convention
« on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »
To rephrase Tony Montana in Scarface: In webcomics, you gotta make the comics first. Then when you get the comics, you get the readers. When you get the readers, then you go to conventions. These are the tested steps that will save you from wasting your time and money in going to a con and not getting the desired business results. At least, that's what I hear.

I also hang out with a bunch of smallpress guys and cons are their marketing opportunity (since they don't publish online). Having a table and selling minis/ashcans is one of their methods of exposure.

Would it be foolhardy for a webcartoonist to market their comic at a convention before having attained a sizable audience?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Steps before going to a convention
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:26:57 AM »
I am. And I don't think it's a foolish decision. But I'll tell you for sure in about 15 days.  ;)

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:04:11 AM »
To rephrase Tony Montana in Scarface: In webcomics, you gotta make the comics first. Then when you get the comics, you get the readers. When you get the readers, then you go to conventions.

Then you get the money, then you get the women, right?

right?

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Never get high on your own supply and never underestimate the other man's greed.

I think that applies here too.