•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: On minor anachronisms  (Read 14853 times)

Offline Beyla

On minor anachronisms
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:22 PM »
Thing I wrote months ago was wrote months ago which is to say it was not written either a long time ago nor as recently as can be considered "current" and while not being writing for being current in a manner which comments on things which are in the current it nonetheless did make note of things whihc had been current and which are now a part of the past but not of a past so distant as to conjure the beast of ill formed cultural bulimia which is nostalgia.  I understand that the time of myth and horror called the 80s is a field many writing people are calling a place made for frolic.

My tale is not one of frolic but one of despair, longing and the navigation of postal service within the bowels of the undesirable real estate in the afterlife or Hell as it is called in the vernacular.  A piece which I have already placed pen to paper on contains mention of a mysterious figure "Conan O'Brien" but sadly his television days are both behind and ahead of him, rather they are not in this moment.  Would the inclusion of "Conan O'Brien" snap the suspenders of disbelief which a reader might have?

The only alternatives that come readily to mind are Kimmel (which is tainted by association to that lost show which I cannot reference to as I am naive to its charms or foibles.  Something about a polar bear, but I can't care about any polar bear.  All they do is eat people, poop and drink coca-cola.  There ain't no point to polar bear.) and George Lopez.  And Lopez presents a unique challenge since theories regarding the fundamental nature of justice in the universe.  A Lopez watching cat ain't gonna bound towards inferno is all I am saying.

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
Re: On minor anachronisms
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
Well formed paragraphs of crazy though. You have to give it that much.  :-\

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
I think I almost understood it. Enough to say that references to current events and people always give you the risk of dating your work.

Or, you know, being Frank Miller. He dates all his work. Pays it, too. That's why most of the women he writes about are hookers.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:57 AM »
Pop culture references tend to go out of date pretty quickly, so unless you're writing a period piece (or intend it to become a period piece eventually) it's probably best to avoid them and just make up TV personalities if you want stuff on TV for world-texture.