•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: This introduction will waste at LEAST minute of your time.  (Read 2372 times)

Offline CC

This introduction will waste at LEAST minute of your time.
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
Yes. Hello. First I'm going to preface this by saying I am not only NOT known as CC, but the screen name doesn't even coincide fully with my initials; therefore I cannot say "I am CC and blahblahblah" because it is incorrect to some degree. There is a long story culminating in me not really liking the screen name I used to go by online, and I just haven't yet come up with a better screen name. For all intents and purposes though, I will for the time being assume this screen name as my own, and I will not mind being referred to such.

Now that that is out of the way, I am not yet a webcomic... um... Webcomickerman. Or whatever. Webcartoonist? I want to be one though, which is why I am here. As of right now I have already set myself up the daunting task of both writing and arting my hopeful webcomic, and quite frankly it probably goes fully against this article that has been posted here, which also more or less drew me here to begin with. This fact does concern me a little, but this project has been my baby for too long and has been through too many different incarnations since its conception(pun unintentional) for me to simply be able to drop it anymore.

As you may have noticed, I am a little wordy. I probably could have just said "i dont have a webcomic yet but i will soon!!!!" instead of the above paragraph, but that really isn't my style unless I am merely harassing someone(which I did not come here to do). I'll try not to be too wordy, as I am sure it is nightmarish reading my style of writing, but it is usually a quest of futility - verbosity simply seems to be a mode I have adapted over the years.

My artistic skill is rather subpar. This means of course I have to do the stupid thing where I feel the need to run a webcomic with many expected action scenes.

I have no idea what other people think of my writing skill because nobody ever gives me crit - of course, actual stories are far removed from comics, so it is entirely up in the air how one end translates to the other.

I hope to gain knowledge here. Maybe a few connections, too, for when my project finally goes live, if people find that my comic is enjoyable to some degree.

My eventual goal for the webcomic itself? I would not mind some monetary gain from it... Being realistic though, just having a few consistent readers would be nice, because my story will probably be a little unconventional. It is, after all, supposed to take itself somewhat seriously(it's more balanced between humor and seriousness), and I'm kind of afraid it will flop as a result since creating adequate hooks, reasons for readers to return, seems like a very fine art. I suppose more realistically, I just want to see the story end someday, after I have proven to myself that I can make updates consistently... Considering the sheer size of the story, as it was originally created as to be a console role-playing game back while I was in middle school(I'm a year into college now for frame of reference), that will no doubt be a very daunting task. Over that time though I expect my artistic ability will soar... Then maybe I can start a real comic.

I have tried making webcomics a few times before; mostly sprite comics that never went anywhere, with one attempt nearly three years ago to draw the current idea I am chasing in comic form for the first time. I became distracted by life before even imagining the second one, and it is my goal to re-launch it, and properly this time, exactly on the three-year anniversary of that strip - October 17th, to be exact. In the intervening months I am working on cleaning up some problems with the original plot and, sometimes, far less often than I should, practicing my art skills and giving the characters a design a few cuts above what I had when I imagined them over six years ago.

There I go, getting wordy and answering questions nobody asked again.

The basics:
I live in northeast Florida, desperately fighting to escape and experience the world outside.
I go to college, but I don't really know why.
The first webcomic I ever read was Adventurers! by someone who went by the handle Webrunner, and I now stay up-to-date with Penny Arcade, Dueling Analogs, and to a lesser extent Ctrl+Alt+Del. It's probably a miracle that I have never even entertained the thought of the Two Gamers On A Couch basis for a webcomic...
My medium of choice, though I possess a tablet, is pencil and paper, with digital touchups and inking later on.

Here's to my hopeful contribution to this community down the road!

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
Re: This introduction will waste at LEAST minute of your time.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »
Welcome fellow Floridian!

Offline Rennakins

• The Café d'Alizée
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:23:27 AM »
Nice to meet you! :> Good luck on your future comic.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:30 AM »
Welcome to the site. best of luck with your launch. Let us know when you pull it off. ;)

Offline mcfadyn

• Eat lightening, crap thunder!
    • Louder than Bombs
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:37:01 AM »
That was a mouthful... you just had to say 'hi' ;D
Sometimes, you have to take a step back and access the fact that you're a moron.  What?  Well you ARE.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 04:14:35 AM »
Hi, welcome to the board!

For comics writing, your concerns regarding your loquacity are indeed valid. Comics characters need to communicate in sentences rather than paragraphs, otherwise you're just writing a story with illustrations (which you don't see often, so it could be something to try).

As for your art, if this is your first time doing a comic I'd say don't worry about it - just keep at it and you'll get better. For a little confidence booster, go to Questionable Content and click 'first'.

Making comics is one of those things that's best learned on the job. It takes practise to work out the kind of pacing and angles that work for you, but by the time you've got that figured out your characters will hopefully have started writing themselves, so all you've got to do is point them at the plot.

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
Brevity.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
For comics writing, your concerns regarding your loquacity are indeed valid. Comics characters need to communicate in sentences rather than paragraphs, otherwise you're just writing a story with illustrations (which you don't see often, so it could be something to try).

I think I'm actually doing this now with Remedy... at least to hear the artist tell it I am anyway.  :P

Offline CC

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:50 AM »
Hellooooo! I do believe I crashed into your webcomic before I came here. o:

Tell me, how are you enjoying the BLAZING HEAT AUGH this summer?

Nice to meet you! :> Good luck on your future comic.
Welcome to the site. best of luck with your launch. Let us know when you pull it off. ;)

Hiiii! Thanks, the biggest roadblock I anticipate is consistency. Launch? Shur, no sweat. Reliable updates? ...kill me. :(

That was a mouthful... you just had to say 'hi' ;D

That's too easy. >:(

Brevity.
Hi, welcome to the board!

As for your art, if this is your first time doing a comic I'd say don't worry about it - just keep at it and you'll get better. For a little confidence booster, go to Questionable Content and click 'first'.

Making comics is one of those things that's best learned on the job. It takes practise to work out the kind of pacing and angles that work for you, but by the time you've got that figured out your characters will hopefully have started writing themselves, so all you've got to do is point them at the plot.

Ah, I don't think loquacity will be a problem so much for the comic - I would consider myself at worst a little better about it when it comes to writing stories, but on average... Well, about average. On the other hand, if I can channel it into describing a scene, but leave dialogue short and to the point, it may yet allow me to fit more detail into the background. Mostly the length of my writing increases as the complexity of a question or situation increases. It seems I would consider "introduce yourself" a very complex question though! God help the unfortunate soul who asks me what my favorite drink is...

Questionable Content is actually what kicked me into gear. I wanted to get better with art first, but then I started reading that comic(you can add that to the list of ones I keep up with actually, I forgot because I bookmark that one a little differently) over a few weeks and went from start to finish... Quite the evolution! Quite a long time too. If my comic is to accomplish anything, at the bare minimum I hope it will be to play a role in art improvement.

Pacing and angles... My old archenemy!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. ^^ As you can see I'm not ALWAYS so long-winded, but if I think a lot of detail can help paint what I'm getting at I can't really fight it. Still, I will continue to try to do so for everyone's sake... I haven't yet been sent an assassin because of my post length, and I'm not really sure I want to tempt fate!

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:38:13 PM »
Hellooooo! I do believe I crashed into your webcomic before I came here. o:

Tell me, how are you enjoying the BLAZING HEAT AUGH this summer?

Cool.

The heat hasn't been too bad in the Central region. Then again I spend most of my time indoors.