•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Freeeeeeeedooooom!  (Read 9893 times)

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
Freeeeeeeedooooom!
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
So for months I've been saying that I'll quit my job and do art/comics/freelance web and logo design instead, as soon as I managed to pay off most of my debts. As it stands, my debts are down to $3500, and yesterday was the last day of my two week notice. I am free to work on comics, illustration and web design, with no worry for paying the bills (thanks supportive and wonderful husband with an awesome job you can't possibly be fired from).

So far I've got a schedule worked out to accommodate everything i need to get done in a week, that switches things up enough that I won't get bored or frustrated as quickly, and leaves enough wiggle room to do extra stuff and have my weekends off.

I think the most frustrating thing about working full time AND doing comics was that I'd go to work at 10am, get home at 9pm, and then work on comics till 3 or 4am, and then start all over again. My husband was like 'I understand that these things need to get done, but I miss spending time with you'. I'll also be so, so grateful to sleep at normal hours again (though it's going to take some getting used to).

Anyone else working toward this sort of thing? Already doing it? How's it (or your action plan to get there) working out for you?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Freeeeeeeedooooom!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »
Congrats.

Offline mcfadyn

• Eat lightening, crap thunder!
    • Louder than Bombs
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 02:46:25 AM »
That's bitchin' lady.  Congratulations on the moving up in the world  ;D One day I hope that LtB will support me, if even just a little...
Sometimes, you have to take a step back and access the fact that you're a moron.  What?  Well you ARE.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 03:12:59 AM »
Thanks!

I'm actually not at a point where the comic really makes me any money. Now, logo design, commissions and web design, on the other hand...

I'd love to be in a place where my comic is making me money. I've got years for that, though, so no rush--gotta do things right.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:10:51 AM »
I know exactly where you're coming from, I don't get to spend as much time with my girlfriend as I'd like. Good luck being a full-time artist!

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 05:49:09 AM »
Ro and I have a plan where we can save up enough money and in two years, BOTH of us are going to take one year off and make the shit out of comics. I guess I'll let you know when we get there, but good luck. Staying motivated is the hard part.

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
Awesome, that rocks.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Super mega congrats! Sounds awesome.

Offline JR

• Young Cannibals
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
I've had plans several times in the past where I was going to quit my job and pursue artwork-type ventures on a full-time basis, but things always got in the way.  I'm glad to hear someone was able to make the jump. 

However, if you have to work a regular-type job-type thing, comic-book stores are the way to go; I worked for one for six years, and even though I was glad to quit I still look back on it as my favorite job ever.

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »
Congratulations! I hope this works out well for you. Your art is great, so I think you'll do really well.

-S

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »
Friends, I hope that if I ever post here that I'm quitting my day job to pursue art, that you will take a look at the quality of my art and stage some sort of intervention. My art DEFINES the old cliche "don't quit your day job". I do comics strictly for the love of doing them. Hopefully if I do them long enough I will get better. I'd love to make my living doing comics, but to quote Hemingway "Isn't it pretty to think so."

Fortunately for you, Ran, your art really is awesome. The rest of will live vicariously through you for a while!

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:50:08 AM »
Jeffa, it takes time to get good. Your drawings are a bit rough, but you're putting a decent level of detail in there and getting your ideas across. If you love doing comics then keep doing them and you'll keep improving. You get a 'click' every couple of months when  you spontaneously figure out how something is drawn. It's a good feeling. I'm a hobbyist at this myself, but I'm starting to think I'm getting good enough to try and make some money out  of it.

Ran's probably clocked up a couple of thousand hours drawing over the years, from childhood scrawls to teenage doodles to awesome comics. Being really, really good doesn't just happen.

Offline jeffa

• Galactic Beacon
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:30:51 AM »
I can see definite improvement in my stuff over time, and I will keep plugging away, but I do know my limitations. I just like making things. Comics, stories, software, woodworking, cooking. I enjoy the creative process.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Oh my yes; making things is fun. You left out building doomsday devices, professor.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
However, if you have to work a regular-type job-type thing, comic-book stores are the way to go; I worked for one for six years, and even though I was glad to quit I still look back on it as my favorite job ever.

Did I forget to mention that the store I've been working for for the last 4 years has been a comic shop? I was severely underpaid, under-appreciated, jerked around and generally taken for granted. My boss's idea of a pay raise for me this year was the mandatory minimum wage raise that everyone making minimum raise in the province got. While my old boss has offered to take me back part time if it becomes an issue, I'd sooner work at walmart if having more of an income was necessary.

Gib: Sounds really great =D Give me a heads up--perhaps we can collaborate on something neat.

Jeffa: gar is more or less correct--I've spent the majority of the past 20 years drawing in some format or another, and the last 12 or 13 of them drawing seriously. It's taken me a looong while to get to where I am, and I still feel like I've got a lot farther to go before I'm really all that good. Just keep working! Do as much as you can, whenever you can--practice all of the time, if you have any free.