•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Tablet Topic  (Read 47638 times)

Offline NoahRodenbeek

• drawn by mouse
Re: Tablet Topic
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
Gar, this is exactly the kind of review I was looking for.  It sounds to me like it's better to put your money into a monitor tablet rather than the Bamboo.  thanks for the input, man!

Offline Knara

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
As far as I know, Gabe uses a Cintiq, so he's drawing directly on the screen.

He does not.  The PAX DVDs and PATV episodes show him clearly using a very large Intuos tablet.  It seems to be that he just prefers it that way.

Jeph from QC, Kurtz from PvP, and Gallagher from MT all use 21UX Cintiqs, AFAIK.

I picked up one of the older Cintiq models off eBay for about €300 a couple of weeks ago (The new ones are in the €2,000 range over here), and it's fantastic. It's only got a 1024x768 screen, but the whole 'not looking at your hand' disconnect is completely abolished. It's got a 15" screen, so it's about the same size as standard copier paper, which was what I was using before. It's basically my most fun toy (I've got a PS3, but not a sex swing).

I have noticed that it really rewards quick pen strokes. Doing a quick slash with the default brush gives a nice smooth controlled-looking line, and I guess practising up on that will ultimately lead to better-looking comics with a shorter production time (I currently draw lots of little lines to make a big line. Since getting the Wacom I've moved the 'undo' function in photoshop up to allow for the last 220 moves).

I find that interesting.  I have a 21UX that I got a month ago, and have found I can actually draw much slower and get good, interesting, detailed lines than when I was using my Intuos 3.

In any event, the Cintiq I have now is pretty darn awesome.  I'd be really sad if I had to go back to an Intuos (if for no other reason than I can work at a lesser zoom ratio, so I can see more of my artwork when I work on it, and there's zero need to mess with matching up the tablet and screen proportions).

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »

I find that interesting.  I have a 21UX that I got a month ago, and have found I can actually draw much slower and get good, interesting, detailed lines than when I was using my Intuos 3.

In any event, the Cintiq I have now is pretty darn awesome.  I'd be really sad if I had to go back to an Intuos (if for no other reason than I can work at a lesser zoom ratio, so I can see more of my artwork when I work on it, and there's zero need to mess with matching up the tablet and screen proportions).

Hmmm, could be just the older Wacoms in general reward quicker line strokes. I can still get a good line drawing slowly and deliberately, it's just that it picks up little hand jitters that don't occur in quick movements. Could be the newer models have an inbuilt function to correct for that, possibly something as simple as a slightly more flexible pen tip.

Offline Fatolbaldguy

• Magical Misfits
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:26 PM »
I havn't read all three pages so if I am re hashing please forgive me. I have a little jitter in my lines when I use the Intos Tablet in Photoshop but when I reduce the DPI from 300 to 72 it is not as noticeable. I have been experimenting a little with illustrator and it makes amazing lines but sometimes it makes lines I didn't draw. But they are not jittery! Sometines I do curly hair and want the jitter but Illustrator wont let me! The monitor tablet is still my secret lust... someday.

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
I havn't read all three pages so if I am re hashing please forgive me. I have a little jitter in my lines when I use the Intos Tablet in Photoshop but when I reduce the DPI from 300 to 72 it is not as noticeable. I have been experimenting a little with illustrator and it makes amazing lines but sometimes it makes lines I didn't draw. But they are not jittery! Sometines I do curly hair and want the jitter but Illustrator wont let me! The monitor tablet is still my secret lust... someday.

If you double-click the pencil/brush and bring smoothness to 0, it should correct the jitter issue.

Offline Fatolbaldguy

• Magical Misfits
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
If you double-click the pencil/brush and bring smoothness to 0, it should correct the jitter issue.
Thank You I will try that!

Offline Knara

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
Keep in mind, too, that with the Wacoms in general, the further out you're zoomed in Photoshop (and Illustrator, IIRC), the less control you have over brush stroke detail.  When I was working at 300dpi, I'd zoom in about 200% and get some real good stroke quality, but you have to make sure to zoom out on a regular basis to make sure the overall composition of the work is looking good.  I'll again refer you to the PAX DVDs where you can watch Gabe do a strip using an Intuos and Photoshop in real time to see how he goes it.  Not to say that you have to do it the same way, but it's a good reference.

Plus, the PAX09 DVD set is just cool.  ;D

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
It seems I'm in a solid minority in this, but the only thing I don't use my tablet for is drawing. Since I still work with pencil and ink, I've no need, but I do use my tablet for everyday function instead of a mouse. I've never understood why everyone with a tablet doesn't do the same, if for no other reason than it's easier on your wrist.

Offline Knara

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 06:59:01 PM »
It seems I'm in a solid minority in this, but the only thing I don't use my tablet for is drawing. Since I still work with pencil and ink, I've no need, but I do use my tablet for everyday function instead of a mouse. I've never understood why everyone with a tablet doesn't do the same, if for no other reason than it's easier on your wrist.

I'm so much faster using a mouse with 5 buttons+scroll and a limited tablet area than I am with a pen, even on my Cintiq, it's not even a remotely close comparison.