•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: More frequent updates Vs. Bigger updates  (Read 15964 times)

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
More frequent updates Vs. Bigger updates
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:03:51 AM »
For the first time in a long time, I'm ahead on scripts and layouts. Looking at what I've got, and at a bunch of comics that are already on the site, I've come to realise that a lot of my full-page comics can actually be split into two strips.

Given that I'm now working ahead of time, I'm considering splitting the new pages into strips except where it breaks the flow of the page completely, and switching from a Tuesday & Thursday schedule to a M-W-F (4x weekly wouldn't really work because there are a bunch of pages that need to remain pages). Everything's going to be drawn up in page form so it'll be ready-formatted for eventual print, but there are a lot of instances where the top row ends in a strong punchline which leads into the bottom row, but which could just as easily lead into a separate sequential comic.

Assuming the same number of panels & gags per week, are more frequent updates of smaller comics better 'value', or would it be better to retain my current format?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: More frequent updates Vs. Bigger updates
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »
You might get more traffic that way... maybe. But from what I've heard the fans won't love you for it. I've been told that when a comic expands to another day fans expect more content. If I'm reading you right what you are proposing is the same amount of content but broken up into three days instead of two.

There's also the fatigue factor. Are you sure you can keep up with the new schedule if you do decide to offer more content.

It's a tough decision. Because going back to a smaller schedule always hurts I think.

Good luck. ;)

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »
I have to agree that more updates that equal the same amount of comics isn't all that great of an idea. I'd considered doing something similar, but in the end what you have is a watered down version of what your readers expect. It would also be odd to have a variable page format, especially for a strip.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »
The 'strip' thing is kind of where this is coming from. Pictures of You is very character-driven, so I can't really see it working in bite-size chunks, but Neko's always been focused more on jokes than anything else. With my new co-writer on board the gag-per-page density is increasing, so the strip format might add more punch to the punchlines.

Neko started out as a 3-panel strip and evolved into pages when I did a couple of double-length strips in a row (as a treat for the readers) and realised I could keep up with that. It's pretty much my maximum work capacity while holding down a full-time job and keeping my relationships healthy though.

I've put the issue to the readers and haven't received any response, so I'm going to give it a try next week (the next page has a top row that stands particularly well on its own) and keep an eye on my stats. I'm still unpopular enough that I can afford to experiment, so if it craps out I don't have much to lose.

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
I'm curious why you asked for opinions if you were going to do it anyway.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
It was kind of a thinking-out-loud thing, I hadn't decided at the time. Ultimately, I decided experimentation was the only real way of finding out if it was a good idea.

A month later, 3x weekly has been working out pretty well for me. Reader response has been pretty positive, audience figures and PW earnings have gone up, and full-page-Fridays now reads as extra content over other M-W-F strips.

Moral: Try things!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »
Indeed!

Offline GroovyKinda

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
Yeah, I do M-W-F, and I'd do more if I had the time. As a reader, I like a lot of updates-it's like a newspaper comic. I just like to be able to read something new every day or two. I find that once a week strips lose story momentum.