•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to advertise on our front page for FREE? Just go to this thread for details.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Big posts keep jumping up  (Read 15428 times)

Offline Alectric

• Estrangel
Big posts keep jumping up
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
If my post exceeds the number of lines in the textbox so that a scrollbar appears, it keeps jumping up, even as I type, making it very frustrating to continue the post.

Both times I've inserted quoted text, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Can anything be done?

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Big posts keep jumping up
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »
Actually... as the least tech savvy guy here I think a minor miracle is happening and I might... might mind you, be able to tell you what the issue is.

I had the same problem with my own forums at Remedial Comics.

The newest version of IE is a rotten SoB. Seriously. I've been using IE (Internet Explorer) for pretty much as long as it has been around and this latest version is the first that ever made me so frustrated that I went to a different browser.

I am now a Chrome user. It loads tons faster and once you get used to the slightly different controls you start to see all the wonderful options you've been living without while stuck in IE purgatory. For example, in browser spell check... on pretty much everything? Thank you! Address bar and search bar are one and the same and you can set your favorite search provide? Oh yes. Autocomplete of URL's even when you've never been there before? Come to daddy!

Anyway I don't want to sound like a Chrome commercial but I have never made a software change I was happier with.

And I'm assuming you are using the newest version of IE. I'm assuming this because they changed thier code to make a lot of websites and forums have issues. It's one of the reasons the new IE hangs on a lot of ads and flash objects and really gets locked up way too much. To mitigate this they added a new feature. It's called "Compatibility View."

Compatibility View is turned on by that button with a page on it right next to the execute button for your address bar. It allows you to force IE to run a version of itself that is more compatible with older websites. Or so they say. Our forums aren't that old and Simple Machines Forums just seem to work better in compatibility view.

Now I know Chadm1n can fix this. He fixed it on the Remedial Comics site (I don't know how but it took some getting jiggy with code and a great deal of cursing Microsoft) and I'm sure when he sees this he'll get around to it. But until then just view this site in compatibility mode and you shouldn't have that particular problem anymore.

Or switch to Chrome.

And if you aren't using the latest version of IE and I"m wrong about all this then please ignore and state the browser version you are using so Chadm1n knows what to look at for the error. We know exactly what you are talking about (I call it "post jitter") it will just take some time and perhaps a bit more info from you to fix it.
 ;)

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
I am now a Chrome user. It loads tons faster and once you get used to the slightly different controls you start to see all the wonderful options you've been living without while stuck in IE purgatory. For example, in browser spell check... on pretty much everything? Thank you! Address bar and search bar are one and the same and you can set your favorite search provide? Oh yes. Autocomplete of URL's even when you've never been there before? Come to daddy!

I have a good idea every once in a while. Who's your Chadm1n?!  :D

Offline Alectric

• Estrangel
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
You guessed right, I'm using IE 8.  The reason I'm so attatched to it is because of its "favorites" tab, where it lists all your bookmarks, and on another tab, all your feeds, but especially the way it bolds the feeds with new content, and also lets you right click and choose "refresh all" to have all the feeds up-to-date.  I use feeds to view all the webcomics I read, and it's unbelievably useful.

I also have Firefox, for when certain plug-ins don't work on IE, and I know that its feeds list isn't nearly as functional.  I don't know about Chrome, but I'd guess that it's not quite at IE's level either.  All those other features you mentioned for Chrome sound nice, but don't really matter to me as much as losing IE's feeds list, unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll be sure to use compatablility mode if I'm having trouble, unless/until Chadm1n fixes the issue. :)

Offline Chadm1n

• Administrator
  • Up, up and... uh-oh...
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »
Hi Alectric,

The IE8 jumpiness fix is now in place. Please let me know if you have any further issues with it.

-cec