•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to advertise on our front page for FREE? Just go to this thread for details.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Building a buffer  (Read 5293 times)

Offline LegendWoodsman

Building a buffer
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:32:54 PM »
Hello! My name is Tony and I've been cartooning for about 15 years now. I'm working on a new project and building a buffer before I release it to the world wild web. For some reason, it feels like I'm writing a profile for a dating site.  :-\

I'm hoping to meet fellow webcartoonists to talk about tips and trade secrets (yours, not mine ;) )

I'm also a cancer and enjoy long walks on the beach.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Building a buffer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »
Hello Tony. I too am a cancer. However nine months of living in the desert during the Gulf War have instilled in me a completely irrational dislike of sand. Also I can't draw to save my life. As evidenced by my currently running comic.

Also I have no buffer which is why Monday's comic was nine hours or so late.

It's like we're two sides of the same coin! :o

Offline JGray

• Mysteries of the Arcana
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
Hello! Building a buffer? Quite a good idea. Welcome!

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
Hey there!  :D

I'm building a buffer for my comic which is not up at the moment as well. My main comic's buffer has run out long ago though (so sad...)
I'm just so dang ancy I keep putting everything I have up at once: "YAY! 12 page update today!!! woohoo!"

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
That's the hardest part about building a buffer is not spilling it all to your readers as fast as you can. You want to share the story with them so bad but if you give it all away then you are left with no buffer, sadness and feelings of regret. It's better to pace it out so that it can be absorbed at a reasonable rate that  allows you to keep pace with creation.

I like to think about baseball.  :D

Offline LegendWoodsman

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
Thank you, folks.

It's been a while since I was really participating on a forum or message board. You make me feel welcome.

I know what you mean about wanting to share any finished work. I have the itch to start a process blog and post any incremental progress.  :P

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
That's the hardest part about building a buffer is not spilling it all to your readers as fast as you can. You want to share the story with them so bad but if you give it all away then you are left with no buffer, sadness and feelings of regret. It's better to pace it out so that it can be absorbed at a reasonable rate that  allows you to keep pace with creation.

I like to think about baseball.  :D

How funny is it that I also stink at baseball? @_@
I once fell asleep in the outfield because I could wait around for that long. lol

I do get your point though. I most certainly need to practice some willpower in this area.

I know what you mean about wanting to share any finished work. I have the itch to start a process blog and post any incremental progress.
I generally give into this itch on a regular basis, but now speaking from experience, I would like to tell you how terrible an idea this is. My computer and tablet both died on me within one week of eachother ;_; ... so as of today Shizentai waits while I tigerdirect-it-up.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:52:42 PM by Mari »