•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Art up in this piece: Post the last two thing's you've drawn  (Read 255516 times)

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
Re: Art up in this piece: Post the last two thing's you've drawn
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2010, 12:42:05 AM »
So these are both part of a 4-page project I was doing for a southern literary review:

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2010, 02:30:38 AM »
Very nice! Great work!

-S

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »
Indeed. I've heard hands are tough. Yours there looks great.

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2010, 01:32:49 AM »
Well it was one for the money, then two for the show.  ::)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
The tree dude is interesting.  ;D

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »
That's really good. Nice work!

-S

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2010, 01:10:57 AM »
Well thanks!

Tree dude is the redone version of a character from my defunct webcomic Communication Confusion. I've been toying with the idea of putting it back online in it's overhauled version: rewritten script, better art (I hope), and with a new title (thank GOODNESS! am I right?) ...the only problem is that I still only have 6 pages completely 100% finished at the moment. Maybe once I reach 30 I'll start with them online. For now he remains my secret and mysterious tree man.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »
I thought it was the Green Man. It's really well done

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
 ;D YEAH! I'm glad you noticed! One of my main characters (arguably the main character) is basically my take on the green man concept. In fact, I was toying around with changing the whole comic's name to "The Green" and maybe have his name be "Greene" or "Grean." I just don't know though.

It must seem silly that I have a whole storyline written and pages already done but not a title or a main character name.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2010, 05:16:51 AM »
Grean has a nice fairytale ring to it. As far as I know the Green Man's just called the Green Man, though you'd probably find a good name by researching celtic mythology.

In Irish "Green" is "Glas" (pronounced like 'gloss') and "Man" is "Fear" (pronounced 'Far'), so it'd be "An Fear Glas". As a name the compound of that would be Ferglas.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
You know... there's information and then there's INFORMATION and that mah frien' is INFORMATION!

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
...is that good?

I'm just spitballing, the green man's pretty cool, he's the basis for the Ents and Robin Hood. The Robin of Loxley character was grafted on later during the christian era, he was originally basically a spirit of the forest that protected the forest. The robbing from the rich and giving to the poor thing was an extension of this spirit being good to the people who respected the forest, and punishing the people who would threaten it. It's a great archetype to work with if you can pull it off.

I love how he's done mostly in negative space. I saw the man first, but it's cool how almost all his lines are the outlines and shadows of different plants coming together along a receding perspective. That's just really clever drawing.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »
Oh yeah that's good. Real good.

I mean, Mari is all like "yeah he's like a Green Man and I'm thinking of doing something with one of my characters" and then you're like "yeah you should check Celtic Mythology" and then proceed to lay the smack down on the origins of the character and the name meaning in Irish (Gaelic?) and then suggest a name for her within the scope of that hidden meaning... that's INFORMATION!

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »
@Rob: SO true!!!
laughing my buttresses off over here!

Grean has a nice fairytale ring to it. As far as I know the Green Man's just called the Green Man, though you'd probably find a good name by researching celtic mythology.

In Irish "Green" is "Glas" (pronounced like 'gloss') and "Man" is "Fear" (pronounced 'Far'), so it'd be "An Fear Glas". As a name the compound of that would be Ferglas.
No WAY! You speak Gaelic!? That's terrific! As is the name "Ferglas" by the way. I found that there is a Celtic diety referred to as "Viridios" that was said to influence agriculture, but somehow "Ferglas" sounds better to me. Do you mind if I use that? I'd gladly credit you for it! Heck, if I ever get this thing off the ground I'll send you a copy!

That would actually solve another snag I was running into. He and another major character originally written to both be Norsemen (hense the symbol on his head meaning "Oak" or "a" in the runic alphabet), but I'd like it better if they were of different nationalities I think. Furthermore, There is a character in the Ogham (which I think predates the runic alphabet am I right?) that also means oak, called "dair". I could easily switch the symbols and call it a day with that.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »
Sure you can use the name Ferglas, happy to help  :)

My Irish is a bit rusty, I learned it in school but don't really use it a lot so I've forgotten most of it. Here's an online english/Irish dictionary, I can help with grammar and constructions, but I haven't spoken or read the language regularly in ten years.