•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: New York Comic Con  (Read 40619 times)

Offline Lego M

• Half Death
Re: New York Comic Con
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »
Ah man, I would love to go but it's completely unrealistic for me at this point in time. I simply don't have the funds, nor do I feel that I have enough merchandise to really make it worthwhile.

Offline ScottLincoln

• CT Webcomic Creator
  • Am I There Yet?
    • Ralf the Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
I am upgrading my previous response to "definitely interested". I'll make time and find the money. As for table space, I won't require a whole table since I'll be in promotion mode with possibly a few trinkets (if I can think of any). I would like to bring an accomplice, so I'm not sure how that would affect the table space (also would like to know about the "what's included" thing too for that reason). I've only attended a few of these Cons, as an assistant, so I'm still figuring all of this out a bit. I live in Connecticut, so I'll be taking the train in most likely. Any advice anyone has on this subject would certainly be appreciated.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:34 AM »
Scott I'm in Connecticut and if you want to chip in a bit for gas there's no reason you can't ride with me. Trust me when I tell you, Metro North is WAY more expensive than the gas money to drive into the city. Especially if there is more than one of you. Drop me a PM and let me know what town you are in and I'll try and work it out.

OK. Here's the deal folks. I just got a bunch of answers back from my contact at NYCC and here is THE DEAL.

A 6 ft table DOES include 2 passes to the con. No extra charge. It also includes the 6 ft table and two chairs.

The cost for this is $500.

There is also another option. There is a 10ft by 10ft area that comes with 5 passes to the con. But there's a catch. No furniture is part of the cost.

The cost for one 10ftX10ft booth is $1,300 dollars. Split five ways that's $260 per. Now, Remedial Comics is going to need a full table. And if three others want to join up with us I'll eat the extra $20 (it would cost me $500 for a single table, two fifths of the 10by10 area comes to $520) as long as nobody gives me any guff about representing Webcomics Community there as well as themselves (I'll hang a banner or something and make some buttons up).

My contact suggested we get tables and chairs from somewhere else and truck them in. Renting from the Javitz Center is supposedly VERY expensive. I've contacted my local Taylor Rental and they have what we need. Tables are $8.50 a piece for the whole con (picked up on the Thursday before and returned on Monday). Chairs are $1.25, once again, for the whole con. We would have to figure out how we are going to split up the area.

The only problem I see here is if the booth is like, walled in with only one face towards the con goers. And I think that might be the case. This would only give us a little actual crowd facing space with a lot of space behind us. So this is probably not ideal.

What I recommend is if we can enough people involved we could do something pretty cool with a 10 by 20 foot space. But I don't think a 10X10 is going to do us any good.

Ultimately though, I think if there are only a couple people involved it might be best to just get your own 6ft table.

I need to make a decision fairly soon so talk to me people. If you want a 6fter of your own it's $500 plus whatever it costs for you to be there (hotel, flight, whatever). If you want to split a 6fter with someone it seems Cary, Scott, Gibson and Swinsea are all somewhat interested. With Jaded Guy and his crisis of confidence as a kinda sorta maybe (LOL, just messing with you man). So maybe you guys can talk it over and figure out if you want to split a table or do something else.

Let me know. But don't take long.  ;)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
I've got loads of comic related "stuff" to do today so I'll be slaving away over a hot keyboard for much of the day today. If you have any further questions or just want to discuss the NYCC arrangements you will most likely be able to get me on my Instant Messengers (check my profile to the left, they are all there) for most of the day. I'll also be checking back here periodically.

I do need to run out this afternoon to pick up a T-Shirt order from Brunetto T's but I'll only be gone about an hour or so. 

;)

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
Unfortunately, after crunching numbers, this is a no go for me this year. The cost of the table is fine, but transport and hotel make it cost prohibitive. On top of that, I'm appearing at Archon on, I believe, the week before this, so getting the time off work would be difficult too. It breaks my heart to say no, but I really can't see myself being able to afford this.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Ok. Well Scott and Cary both seemed pretty interested. Maybe you guys can split a table or something? Let me know guys. Clocks ticking!

Offline operationremie

• i will no longer post.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »
i'll be going to NYCC with some friends on saturday. i'll definitely stop by and say hi to everyone who is there!

Offline Richard

• CT Webcomic Creator
    • InterVerse Comics
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 07:47:51 PM »
Well, our booth got changed to 1055 in the small publishers area.

It's a good thing to check out the exhibitor handbook now that it's up on the site. I managed to catch a change they had inadvertently put up. They had changed the Small Press booth's tickets to 3 exhibitor badges and 2 professional badges. Originally on their contracts it stated 5 exhibitor badges. The major difference between the two being the ability to set up several days before and enter the show floor an hour early. After some phone calls I got it sorted out... But I wouldn't have even known there was a problem if I hadn't checked out the handbook  ;D

I also received word that registration for exhibitor badges is either going to start by the end of this week or next week, so heads up!

Offline Richard

• CT Webcomic Creator
    • InterVerse Comics
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »
Just thought I should put up a reminder for people to get their NY State Tax ID numbers for the convention. It doesn't cost anything and there is a good chance that state officials are going to be checking for them at the convention.

I heard that at San Diego Comic Con they were checking quite a few people to see if they had theirs.

You can fill it out quickly online here: http://www.nys-opal.com/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks man. Good advice.  ;)

Offline Richard

• CT Webcomic Creator
    • InterVerse Comics
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
Aaaand they just completely reorganized a lot of space to get rid of empty tables. They gave away our corner position and changed us from 1055 to 555.. I am so supremely pissed off right now that they did this with no notice.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 06:38:42 PM »
That' sucks man. Sorry to hear it. They didn't move us though. So I'm happy about that. I think we have a pretty good spot.

Offline Richard

• CT Webcomic Creator
    • InterVerse Comics
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
Well, I got on the phone with them and we're back in the corner spot we had. We'll have yet another booth change to 557. I believe this is our fourth booth assignment, lol.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
Good for you!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 05:13:37 PM »
Richard what Business Type did you choose for Interverse? Did you call them to get the tax number or did you go through the whole process?