•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Lar deSouza rants about starving artists and getting started.  (Read 5510 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Lar deSouza rants about starving artists and getting started.
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:19:35 PM »
For those of you who don't follow his twitter.

Beware of salty language.  ;D

http://ustre.am/_DMNy:ra5

Offline Richard

• CT Webcomic Creator
    • InterVerse Comics
Re: Lar deSouza rants about starving artists and getting started.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
Yeah, it does become a good listen after awhile, that is if you make it past the rage filled first couple of minutes. I agree with his premise of artists making art for people instead of just themselves. Though it could be because I really don't see the point in most "modern" art that some people produce.

Offline Beyla

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
Is he always that expressive, you know, facially?  Because he has just this huge range of BIG BIG facial expression that seemed kind of cartoony.  Like the sort of mugs you do when you are looking in a mirror to referrence big expression for your drawing.  If you add in how he didn't really move a lot outside of talking, I got the impression that this was a test.  And if you didn't pick up a paper and pencil and do at least one or two drawings of Lar you had failed.  I'm not very good, but I'm definitely going to be going back to do some, just because Smiling Lar, Lookin' Stern Lar, Frustrated Lar, and Lecturin' Lar are just amazing faces.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
That's Lar in all his glory. The way he is in his UStreams is very much in line with the man I know personally.

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:57:03 AM »
He starts out pretty inarticulate there, but I really agreed with him about being an artist because you have to be.

Is he always that expressive, you know, facially?  Because he has just this huge range of BIG BIG facial expression that seemed kind of cartoony.

I listened to that while I was doing a layout, so didn't really see him, I feel like I missed out now. I thought doing big facial expressions was just a cartoonists' thing because we practise them more than normal people though. Making faces while drawing is a well-known and funny phenomenon.