•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: I have an idea and I would like to hear your opinion~  (Read 14618 times)

Offline monkeykex

I have an idea and I would like to hear your opinion~
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
O hai people, I am new to this forum, so don't kill me if I do something wrong.
Anyways, I really want to make a webcomic and I have this basic fantasy/sci-fi kind of idea to start out with, but I would like some tips and constructive criticism first.

A gang, or guild, you could say, of thieves, are stealing their way up to wealth. ( About 20 members, not sure if I wan't them to be entirely selfish or include some kind of Robin Hood heroism. )
Nobody knows their real identity, not even the members, ( Because they are all weraing masks, or because they are ninjas. ) except for a few members (5-7 members) in the inner circle.
One day, one of them discorvers a big secret.

It is widely known that their society used to have magical powers, and could travel the astral on free will (I would include more "scientific facts" on this), not much generations ago.
Now they are only a few left with magical powers (5-10%) , and their society have replaced the magic with technology.

But, one of the thieves in the inner circle discover the cause for their societys loss of magic, wich turns out to be a government conspiracy to gain more power and control.

Soon enough, the government finds out that their secret has been leaked, and the thieves are more hunted than ever before.
They send out an spy to pose as a new member to their gang. (this part is not quite clear yet)
One of the thieves finds out that this new member is a spy, but keeps the secret because of selfish reasons.
Now this spy will have to work the way up to the inner circle to find out the thieves identity.

At the same time the inner circle is doing more research on the conspiracy business and argue on how to use their knowledge. (should they keep the secret or should they do the right thing to disclose it to the people, and risk being caught.)
But soon they discover that the government is close onto them and realise that one among them have leaked information about their organisation.
But now this spy begins to feel for the thieves, and is not sure on how to play the game anymore.

They eventually find out that this new member is working fo the government, but they are convinced that the spy is on their sides now.
Now they have to flee the government and the spy is helping them.

With the help of a crazy scientist they travel through the astral to flee into another world, (this gives me full freedom to create whatever worlds I want while remaining somewhat logical) but now an even bigger and darker and far more dangerous secret is discovered (no idea what), while the government is close behind their heels.

Main characters would be one of the thieves in the inner circle and the spy, I wan't the thief to be a male and the main idea so far is that the spy is female.

I love somewhat weird and quirky characters, so if you have an idea on a quirky characteristic (like a character who only wears red, or someone who always has 2 spoons in her bra) please tell me.

Keep in mind that I am an artist and I trust my art, so that is not a problem. I am also very creative and like wierd and wicked stuff, and I absolutely LOVE to confuse people. So if I made this comic it would mainly be something weird and random, but with a clear plot to build it on. And this is the idea I want to start out with, and I figure it will be further developed while I make the comic.

So umm, what do you think? Would you read this? Why/ why not? What is good/what is bad with my idea? Should I do something different?

Please comment and don't be a jerk. C:

Offline Bruce Small

Re: I have an idea and I would like to hear your opinion~
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
It's really hard to tell you if an idea is good. In the end it really comes down to execution. If you are concerned with how it will be receipted why not do 2-4 test pages? It's much easier to get an idea of how good it can be from that rather than a pitch. In fact I think it's a really good idea for people who are doing narrative webcomics for the first time (this idea seems a lot more narrative driven than gag driven) to do a short unrelated story just to get your feet wet. Writing effect narratives for webcomics can be a little tricky, and that will give you a good sense of it.

That said I have a major comment concerning the idea. You seem to have the world fleshed out, but there's very little mentioned about the characters. A world can be interesting but a story is always about the characters.

Offline Elizabeth_Bryant

• A Webcomic Lover~
    • Webcomics Hub
Re: I have an idea and I would like to hear your opinion~
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:43:37 AM »
I think you idea needs more clarity. There is no denying, yes it is good idea but just in case you want to make it more awesome, try to be as straight as possible. A gang of 20 people will be way to much, may it briefer and try to focus on characters. Look for some sort of uniqueness... newness~ I am sure you will be able to craft it more brilliantly. All the best  :)