•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Who am I?  (Read 8019 times)

mwytrykus

Who am I?
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »
Well, I guess I'll get the ball rolling here.

I am Mike Wytrykus. I have been working on webcomics on and off since 1997. In the early days of webcomics, I briefly ran a site called Novatoons that featured work from several aspiring webcartoonists of the day. Since 2000, I have sporadically updated a comic strip called Grimstone. Grimstone is about a skeleton named Ribcage who lives in a town of monsters and supernatural creatures and makes his "living" appearing in monster movies and TV shows. I've done it as a daily strip, a semi-daily, a weekly strip, and a print-on-demand comic book. Basically I've never been able to stick to one format or update schedule, but I keep plugging away because the comic is important to me. One of these days I'll hopefully find my groove with it.

I am also working on another project that may supplant Grimstone as my main comic. It's aimed more at kids (which Grimstone is not), and I'm deciding exactly what format I want it to take (daily strip, monthly comic, iPhone app) before I start it. I want to avoid most, if not all, the mistakes I've made with Grimstone.

I also do some freelance work for iVerse Media adapting comic books to the iPhone. And I've been known to create some stop-motion toy videos on occasion, before Robot Chicken made it cool. You can view those over on YouTube.

Offline CorvusErebus

• Chief Web Designer
Re: Who am I?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
Welcome to the WCC Mwytrkus. Yeah, since I can't pronounce that, I'm going to call you Trykus.

I looked over Grimstone, and for the most part, I liked what I saw. If you ever want to discuss your comic or your plans, you're in the right place.

Spread the Word!

~Erebus

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
Welcome Mike. I can tell  from all the great behind the scenes conversation we've had that you are going to be a great addition to the community.

And his Video is hilarious. Check it out.

Grimstone has an interesting premise. Did you know there is a new "Wolfman" movie coming out that is supposedly a revitilization of the monster movie genre?

Thanks for joining us man.  ;)

TakaComics

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see new people coming in. I hope to see you in the various parts of this forum, as you already seem to have a great start and history in webcomics.

mwytrykus

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »
Welcome to the WCC Mwytrkus. Yeah, since I can't pronounce that, I'm going to call you Trykus.

I looked over Grimstone, and for the most part, I liked what I saw. If you ever want to discuss your comic or your plans, you're in the right place.

Spread the Word!

~Erebus

Someone use to call me Trykus in middle school. I don't recall who. The last name is actually REALLY easy to pronounce. Why-Try-Kuss. Wytykus. Easy pasy.

And I welcome any and all constructive criticism about Grimstone. Site design, layout, format, whatever. I'm always looking for ways to improve. My biggest problem is just setting a schedule and sticking to it, so that's my main focus right now. I am stuck on the most recent storyarc, Son of Frankenbeans. Suggestions are welcome and credit will be given where credit is due.

mwytrykus

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »
Welcome Mike. I can tell  from all the great behind the scenes conversation we've had that you are going to be a great addition to the community.

And his Video is hilarious. Check it out.

Grimstone has an interesting premise. Did you know there is a new "Wolfman" movie coming out that is supposedly a revitilization of the monster movie genre?

Thanks for joining us man.  ;)

I have been waiting for that Wolfman movie for a long time now. They keep pushing the release date back. It was suppose to come out before last Halloween. Now it's coming out for Valentine's day. Silly, isn't it?

They're suppose to remake Creature From the Black Lagoon too. There's no way they can improve on that monster design. The original is perfection.

mwytrykus

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see new people coming in. I hope to see you in the various parts of this forum, as you already seem to have a great start and history in webcomics.

Oh, I've been a near silent observer of it all.

Offline Chris Crosby

• Chris Crosby Dot Com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »
Heya, Mike!  I was on Novatoons, right?

If I'm remembering correctly (and that's doubtful), I think you were one of the guys that opened my eyes to how popular online comics could be when you told me about how big USER FRIENDLY was getting around 1998-99.  So you are partially to blame for my reign of webcomics terror over the past decade.  :)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »
I have been waiting for that Wolfman movie for a long time now. They keep pushing the release date back. It was suppose to come out before last Halloween. Now it's coming out for Valentine's day. Silly, isn't it?

They're suppose to remake Creature From the Black Lagoon too. There's no way they can improve on that monster design. The original is perfection.

Considering the horror that is relationships... yeah that's about right.  ::)

LOL. That is a wierd time to release a monster movie though you are right. But if I recall the original wolfman was a bit of a love story too wasn't it?

mwytrykus

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:57:26 AM »
Heya, Mike!  I was on Novatoons, right?

If I'm remembering correctly (and that's doubtful), I think you were one of the guys that opened my eyes to how popular online comics could be when you told me about how big USER FRIENDLY was getting around 1998-99.  So you are partially to blame for my reign of webcomics terror over the past decade.  :)

Hey there Chris! Long time no talk. Yep, you were one of the Novatoons cartoonists. In fact, you may have been the first person to submit to it, possibly the second. Good ol' Snap the Punk Turtle. User Friendly was on Novatoons as well, right before he hit it big. That was one of the earliest webcomics I discovered. Other Novatoons alumni were....let me rummage through some old files....ah here's the list:

The Adventures of Hanging Herman by Paul Elliot,
BR: The Comic About Love and Stuff by Aric McKeown,
The Mr. Chuck Show by John Myers,
My Martian Friends by Mike Wytrykus,
Snap the Punk Turtle by Chris Crosby,
Taylor Burton by Steve Wood,
User Friendly by Illiad.

Hmm, only seven of us. I thought there was a couple more. Oh well. So yeah, I guess I'll take part of the blame for your decade of webcomics tyranny ;)
I always felt like maybe you started Keenspot as a way to continue what we were all trying to do on Novatoons. And it was when I discovered Keenspot and Keenspace in 2000 that I started doing Grimstone. Circle of life man, circle of life.

Offline Chris Crosby

• Chris Crosby Dot Com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
I always felt like maybe you started Keenspot as a way to continue what we were all trying to do on Novatoons. And it was when I discovered Keenspot and Keenspace in 2000 that I started doing Grimstone. Circle of life man, circle of life.
Heh, yeah.  I'm sure Novatoons was a part of the inspiration for Keenspot, but it was mainly a replacement for Big Panda.  If Bryan McNett hadn't decided his resources were better spent outside of webcomics (he was hit REALLY hard by the departure of SLUGGY FREELANCE), Keenspot might never have existed and Big Panda would've taken its place in webcomics history.

Alternate Webcomics History!  What fun.  :)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
LOL. I love Sluggy Freelance. In large part because of Bun Bun and his connection to the Posleen Carnography. Did you know that Author John Ringo out a bunch of "alternate history" Sluggy comics in one of his books and named one of his giant Earth defending tanks Bun Bun?

I had a lot of fun with that.  ;)