•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Volunteer Event Coordinater Wanted  (Read 14606 times)

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Volunteer Event Coordinater Wanted
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
I'm looking for someone who knows thier way around the Webcomics world to collect dates and times (and links when appropriate) of conventions and expos and anything webcomics related and enter them into our calander system here.

Much of this information is readily available on the web, it just needs to be collected and transferred here.

;)

Not anymore... Now I'm looking for a community relations coordinator. Read my most recent post here.

Positions filled... thanks everyone.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:33:56 AM by Rob »

mwytrykus

Re: Volunteer Event Coordinater Wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:26:10 AM »
I'm tempted to volunteer. I know what most of the cons are and they're not hard to find the dates. It really is just a data mining thing. And it is useful info to have in one place. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you. If someone else volunteers first though, that's okay too.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »
Ooooh please do. I would be ever so grateful!  ;D

Offline KidGalactus

• Shot first
    • SpencerRanch
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
Mike and Rob, this should help you guys out a ton:

http://www.conventionscene.com/schedules/allupcomingevents/

Just don't say I never gave you nothin'!  ;)

mwytrykus

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
Mike and Rob, this should help you guys out a ton:

http://www.conventionscene.com/schedules/allupcomingevents/

Just don't say I never gave you nothin'!  ;)

You didn't. I found that last night after posting here. But "A" for effort.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »
Wow. That's amazing. I almost feel bad taking all that collected info.

Almost.

Now I just need someone with the time to transpose all that info over to here. Maybe I'll talk to the guy that runs that site and see if he's interested in joining the community. Hmmm.

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
I can help wherever I'm needed.  Just lemme know ^.^
/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Volunteer Community relations coordinator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:47:28 PM »
Amanda it looks like we figured out a better/far lazier way to resolve event news here on the site.

So we don't need an event's coordinator really anymore. The job would be pretty boring with nothing much to ever enter to the on site calender. There are other ways you can help out though.

We're still looking for moderators. We're still looking for article contributions (and always will). There is now a community comic/art project called GUNBABY: The Baby With Guns you could contribute to. And I this is just sort of wish list for me but I would love to have someone here that I can tap to go join other communities and tell them about our site.

Sort of a community relations coordinator. Then I could just PM that person a link and say, go tell these folks about us and that person would go and join that site and post on their forums or comments about Webcomics Community. And when I'm not pointing out URL's that person would go off anf find communities on his/her own and tell them about Webcomics Community. Sort of like a mini PR department.

Anyway. You now know what we're looking for. I leave it up to you to to decide what you would like to do.  ;)

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
Well, I'm completely up for being a mod if I can help out in that way.  Gunbaby sounds so hilarious, and I can't wait to see what other people contribute, but I'm kind of tapped out of ideas.  As for community relations, I could maybe do that, but probably not with the mod thing (which sounds more fun?) - I've been floating around DrunkDuck for a couple years now, but aside from that, this is the first time I've branched out to a different site.
/

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »
I'll make you a deal. Get a banner on your profile for one of your comics so you are flying a bit bigger flag and I'll make you a moderator.

We could use the help and it's win win for you.  ;)

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
I'd be willing to give it a shot. Though, some creativity would be needed to go onto the boards, talk about Webcomics Community, and not sound like a spammer.

Definitely willing to moderate, too.

Offline MenZ

• Drunk
  • Global Moderator
  • Someday we'll get Rob to spell "their" correctly
    • My RoosterTeeth Page
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »
WHAT WHAT WHAT? Share my power? Sounds like it's time to ban everyone who applies  ;)
[MenZ]

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »
Blk Knight

YES. That's exactly what I mean. You have to reach out to those other communities and websites and let them know about us without appearing like some dude who's just there to hock his filthy wares and then split town without even a "how do ya do." (even though you kinda are)

The Community relations coordinator would of course have moderator powers as well but your primary job would be to spread the word to other sites (and that includes webcomics that haven't heard about us) all over the intertubes.

I have a really nice letter I've been sending to individual webcomics which has actually seemed to go over really well. No one has sent me back a nastygram or anything so I've been really happy with how well it has been working. The community relations coordinator could use my letter or use it as a template to create their own. Whatever.

Obviously approaching whole communities is a much more dicey proposition. Generally I go after the bull goose. Find out who's in charge, contact the founder, owner or head moderator and suggest a cross promotion or ask them to write an article or something. Often that helps grease the wheels. Just drop into their forums and be all like "I'm promoting this new site 'cause it's great and you should all go there NOW!" and the members of that place will skin you alive and run you out of town on a rail.

Do you have any experience with this/moderating?

Let me know what you think.  ;)

Offline amanda

• Global Moderator
  • Braaawk!
    • Salt the Holly
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »
I have bannerized!  Question: am I allowed to cackle evilly as a mod?  I mean, I can try to keep said cackling down to a minimum.
/

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »
Still sounds like something I could do.

I once moderated a now defunct Final Fantasy forum a couple of years ago (When the site's creator disappeared, the rest of the forum soon followed) which included generally obnoxious members and a hacking incident or two.

As for the advertising, I have no direct experience with it but I did conduct an online survey for my dissertation geared towards upper-level university IT professionals before they shut down for Winter break with a 100% response rate (gotta be persistent). So I have no problem making blind contacts to people or digging out who is in charge or who would be the most responsive. I'd also consider assisting with other details like advertising campaigns, determining which individuals or communities should be targeted when, etc.