•  
Home    Archive

News: Webcomics beget Webcomics!

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Light Blooms  (Read 6578 times)

Offline JR

• Young Cannibals
Light Blooms
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
Does anyone know how to make light blooms?  They're effects that mimic a bright light behind an object. Here's an example...

I've seen a tutorial of how to make them somewhere, but I didn't save it.  If anyone out there can either direct me to a link or explain how to do it, I'll be pretty grateful.  I'll toast a drink to your honor.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics

Offline Gibson

• Pictures of You
Re: Light Blooms
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:33:35 AM »
Seems to me you could do that by applying a bright circular gradient to a new layer over top of the image, reduce the opacity on that layer, select whatever area you don't want to bear the effect on the lower layer and then delete the gradient from the second layer. I hope that's not what the tutorial says. Maybe I should've read it before posting this, but hey, look, oops, I already hit Post.

Offline ran

• Oh so tired.
    • brainspill
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
It looks to me like they locked the transparent pixels on the line art layer (which contains all of the solid blacks including the one guy's hair) and used a light brown/orange gradient on it. I say this because if you look very carefully, none of the coloured parts are actually affected by this. I do a lot of this when I CG--it's useful for other effects as well.

Offline Nuke

• Underling Comic
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
It looks to me like they locked the transparent pixels on the line art layer (which contains all of the solid blacks including the one guy's hair) and used a light brown/orange gradient on it. I say this because if you look very carefully, none of the coloured parts are actually affected by this. I do a lot of this when I CG--it's useful for other effects as well.

I've actually got to go against this <<'. Locking opacity layers is a fantastic tool but after sampling colors from the image it seems(hard to say for sure with all the compression artifacts getting in the way) that the skin color tones trend towards being lighter as they get closer to the bloom. That is to say, it appears as if they just dabbed right over the image with a low opacity, low hardness brush.

I got the above right image by touching the screen with a brush at 30% opacity and 20% hardness with the lighting color I wanted.

Please don't feed the ancient deities.