•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Portable Scanner?  (Read 17579 times)

Offline JR

• Young Cannibals
Portable Scanner?
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:14:18 PM »
I've got a new job that has me on the road a lot.  It's been extremely difficult to work on my comic in hotel rooms.  I've resorted to taking digital photos on my sketches and uploading them to Photoshop.  Does anyone out there know of an affordable and portable scanner.  Resolution or whatnot is unimportant; the scanned penciled art is going to be inked over in Photoshop.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
Re: Portable Scanner?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:31:46 AM »
I have to admit this looks pretty cool:

http://www.neatco.com/

And you can get a certified refurbished portable model for $99. Not bad.

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:47:38 AM »
I think my sister has one similar to that (a little bar that feeds through). though I can't remember the brand  ::)
At any rate, she told me in the past that she was very satisfied with it. She totes it around in her laptop case every time she travels for work.

Offline klingers

• Wavelength Comic Online
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »
What's your definition of portable?

If you're after something bigger than a hand-held scanner, I'd recommend something like a CanoScan Lide 200. I just picked one up myself the other week to replace my old Lide 60 (That old thing just REFUSED to work with 64-bit Windows 7... Grrr).

It's a flatbed scanner, but very light and host-powered (i.e. no A/C power needed, voltage comes through the USB cable!). Definitely something you could get away trundling around with in a small carry-on suitcase.

We have them for about $160 AUD here in Australia.

Offline Biggdiz6

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
thank you

Offline manlaydima

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
I have a web comic called Schwartz and Merc. Its at www.schwartzandmerc.com if you are interested in looking at it. Right now I am working on finishing up a manga satire comic. But there are many different stories to come if you are interested. I don't get much forum time to talk about comics because I also have a full time job and take classes. But my twitter and Schwartz and Merc facebook fan pages are really easy ways to contact me directly @MercuryRitter is my twitter handle if you wish to follow. Also feel free to ask me to check out your site and I will give you feedback if you like.

Offline AsheSkyler

• Feathered Jester
    • Just Another Day
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:31 AM »
If you're after something bigger than a hand-held scanner, I'd recommend something like a CanoScan Lide 200. I just picked one up myself the other week to replace my old Lide 60 (That old thing just REFUSED to work with 64-bit Windows 7... Grrr).

DITTO on the Canons! I got a CanoScan Lide 210 a few months back and I love it. It's lightweight, about the length of a normal laptop that has a full keyboard and numberpad, so it could potentially slip into a laptop bag. The USB power/data cord can disconnect fully so you can store it next to it. It was $80 USD on bhphotovideo.com.
Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians.
Give 100% in all you do. Unless you're giving blood.

My Story: http://jad.raven-wing.net
Commission Me: http://art.raven-wing.net

Offline H. McGill

• http://rawr.hannahmcgill.com
    • RAWR! Dinosaur Friends
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 04:59:14 PM »
If you have a smartphone, that can take pretty good pics. Just put your image in the sunlight.

Failing that, I love my VuPoint Magic Wand scanner. It's extremely compact, wireless, does up to 600 dpi. The only issue is that the scanned object needs to be locked down somehow or else the lines get all screwed up.