•  
Home    Archive

News: Our Community Comic "Gunbaby" is and always will be open for submissions. Any submissions received will run on the site front page on Sundays.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: I am behind the times, help me!  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
I am behind the times, help me!
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
I keep seeing RSS feeds on webcomics and blogs and stuff, but I only have a vague idea what they are for or how to use them. Can anyone explain it to me?
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
Re: I am behind the times, help me!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:37:16 AM »
What RSS readers do you recommend? The page linked on RSSPECT didn't work.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline wendyw

• Gilbert and the Grim Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:00:02 AM »
Personally, I use the RSS function in Mozilla Thunderbird and I've not had any problems with it.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »
I just checked the RSSPect link and it worked fine for me. It's made by the same guys who do Project Wonderful so that's why I linked it. Personally I know very little about RSS.

Offline Alectric

• Estrangel
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
The immense convenience of the RSS reader in its "Favorites" tab is the reason I still use IE.

Basically, for websites with frequently updated content (blogs or webcomics, mainly), RSS feeds become updated with this new content every time the site updates.  You subscribe to the RSS feed for the site, and it keeps a link to the RSS page for that site in your reader.  Whenever the feed updates, the link becomes bold.  That way you can easily see which sites you have RSS subscriptions for have updated, and don't have to worry about checking periodically or remembering update schedules, which is especially nice if there are a lot of webcomics and blogs that you follow.  The feed links refresh periodically, but they won't be completely up-to-date all the time.  The reader in the IE Favorites tab let's you right click and choose "Refresh All" to get around this.  It takes several seconds, but you'll have all the feeds updated right then.

To sum up, it's like bookmarks, but kept separately, and they indicate whenever the sites they link to have new content.