•  
Home    Archive

News: For Free, For Everyone, Forever.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Sketchup  (Read 17723 times)

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
Sketchup
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:15:29 AM »
Anyone here use Google Sketchup to help make backgrounds?

It seems pretty easy to learn, and it's free (which is always good for me).

Thoughts?

Offline Dr. BlkKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Community Relations Coordinator
    • Crossing Death
Re: Sketchup
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Haven't heard of it.

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
I think Dan from El Goonish Shive does it. Other than that, I've never tried it. I heard it's pretty easy, but that's from people who were already adept at using complicated 3D packages.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline Mari

• Mari Orange Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:19:16 AM »
well, I've never done any 3D stuff of any variety before and I found it pretty user friendly (even having never read any directions or tutorials). The hardest part I think is learning to manipulate perspective while working.... also, toilets... they're really weird to draw with the tools given.

I got the idea to try it out while reading a coloring tutorial from Dershing Helmer of "The Meek". I decided it'd be good for me because in my comic there will be some scenes that I'll reuse again and again. I don't want to have inconsistency in room size or position of fixtures that can't be moved (like sinks or windows). Also, the program lets you stick a camera in any position and rotate around from that perspective, which will cut away SO MUCH TIME from my old way of sketching backgrounds over and over again from different perspectives. Best of all, it's a free program so I don't need to pay an arm and a leg for once! Nifty stuff!!!

Anyway, here's some preliminary work I've done on the project, which is supposed to remotely resemble a modern Japanese apartment (the stand-in looks eerily like me btw):

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:21:13 AM by Mari »

Offline Gar

• Global Moderator
  • Really quite hairy.
    • Neko the Kitty
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »
That's pretty nifty. I might try doing BG layouts with that and then drawing over them with the tablet so as to keep my line style. I'm terrible at perspective for backgrounds, so easy 3D could be handy until I learn.

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
  • Easily Confused, Feeble Minded Founder
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:01 AM »
That is pretty cool. I built the apartment Jeph Jacques characters live in in "Questionable Content" in my Animation Master program and it looks a lot like that. Nice.

Offline HarringtonAW

• No! Pagliaccio non son!
    • Spying with Lana
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »
I use Sketchup fairly regularly, and I like it a lot. It's probably the quickest and easiest way to model 3D objects. I usually use it for modelling and export the models into Bryce, which I find is better for texturing and setting up scenes.

Incidentally, Derek Patterson creates some cool comics entirely in Sketchup which you might check out.

-S

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »
I've been reading the Secret Agent one since it launched. Always liked his stuff.

Offline dpat57

• dpat's webcomics hub
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »
Heh, I stumbled across a couple of unfamiliar URLs in today's meager visitor stats and wondered where they were from... gotta confess I didn't know this place existed, sorry, my bad. Thought I'd sign up just to say thanks for taking a peek, and indeed thanks to those who read the comics!  Carry on.  ;D

Offline Rob

• Resident Dick!
  • Administrator
    • Remedial Comics
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
DPAT how are you man? LOL. You check your link ins too? I like to know who's talking about me.

Wendy... one of the ladies in charge over there at The Webcomics List (your usual hangout I believe) is a member here and has asked me to help with this years Webcomics List Awards.

What's more, you and I used to talk from time to time when I launched my webcomic a couple years ago. Back when I could remember my password to the front page of The Webcomics List and my other one to the Webcomics List forums.  ;D  (I can't seem to log into that front page anymore... gave up tryin')

It was right around that time you launched Secret Agent. Almost two years ago.

I did announce our existence over there are The Webcomics List. But you probably missed it. It's a pretty big place.

I am glad you found your way here though. Welcome. Everyone... this is dpat57. I don't know about all of his comics (he does several) but Secret Agent: British Intelligence is frickin' hilarious.

Offline dpat57

• dpat's webcomics hub
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »
Hah, thanks for the intro.  ;D

Well okay, now I will know who Wendy is talking about!

Yes indeed I remembered Remedy when I re-read last night... I think I'd got up to the point where the MC heads out to Parts Unknown, just before you changed artists.  That's a real nice archive system, I found myself zooming in a couple of steps and just reading strips from there, like a book.  Much easier to read when you're not constantly waiting for the next update!  :D

Yeah time flies... Secret Agent and Space Pirates will be 2 years old in January, Crowbar passed 2 years in August there and Starship Captain's 1 year old... scary stuff.  But they're still as much fun now as they were when they started out.  I only wish I had a time machine so I could go back and tell me all the SketchUp tricks I know now!  Plus winning Lottery numbers and stuff like that, 'natch.

Offline Elizabeth_Bryant

• A Webcomic Lover~
    • Webcomics Hub
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
What is it? I have not even heard of it :/ But since I am in my learning stage, I will get back to you after using it. Give me time for research.