•  
Home    Archive

News: Want to advertise on our front page for FREE? Just go to this thread for details.

00:00:30UncleRobotI know CPR...
18:39:34Chadm1nSpammers must die. Now.
16:56:16Chadm1nAs promised a few weeks ago, Webcomics Community has been upgraded!

Author Topic: Resource Links/Books  (Read 50000 times)

Offline WilliamHuntJr

• Pass the Torch
Resource Links/Books
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
Got another thread to start not sure if you want to keep it here or not. This thread is for any books or online manuals that have helped you out in your comic work.
Here is my list I recommend when I do portfolio reviews at cons. (some of these you have probably heard of before)

Hi-Fi Color for comics Published by Impact Authors Brian and Kristy Miller

This book has been instrumental in a lot of professionals careers It takes you step by step in coloring comics and comes with a CD to help you practice and has new brushes and scripts you can use on other projects in photoshop.

People and Poses Published by Impact Author Buddy Scalera

This is a photo reference book it also comes with a CD with over a 1k poses you can use for reference

what do you recommend?
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
Scott Adams

TakaComics

Re: Resource Links/Books
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »
I can't praise "Anatomy for the Artist" enough. Most anatomy books are in the style of the artist who wrote the book, but in this case, the artist/writer, Sarah Simblet, only serves as another study in the book, where she discusses how other artists approach anatomy. The books true strength is the photography, and the medical book style muscle/bone overlays on many pages. You get to see a photo, and then the underlying structure on top of it on a separate transparent sheet.

The book can be bought here:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Artist-Sarah-Simblet/dp/078948045X

Offline Pete

• Bardsworth
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
You know, we have a wide range of drawing books that I've rarely looked at (I'm a "learn by looking at other people's work" kind of guy), but my wife swears by them.  I'll repost with a list of what we have.

One book that I did pick up and enjoy working with was "Drawing Cutting Edge Fusion" by Christopher Hart (who has put out a bunch of other books that I would love to grab).  It teaches a style he calls "fusion" (which I've never heard used anywhere else, but that's not to say it doesn't exist) which is a hybrid of Western comic art and anime/manga style.  It's not bad, although the later chapters do seem to tip over more into the anime/manga style, which I don't like, but which maybe some of you would.

Offline TTallan

• Galaxion
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »
Someone's bound to mention them, so it might as well be me:

Understanding Comics and Making Comics by Scott McCloud. The first one rocked my world when I first read it.

Also, I got some good lettering tips from DC Comics Guide to Colouring and Lettering Comics.

Offline WilliamHuntJr

• Pass the Torch
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
You have to watch out when buying Harts books, he has a nasty habit of flooding the market with crud.
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
Scott Adams

TakaComics

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
You have to watch out when buying Harts books, he has a nasty habit of flooding the market with crud.

I will say that his best work in my opinion is his "Noir Style" book. It's great if you want to see someone place spot blacks correctly and well. I think it's some of his better artwork as well, as I don't like his "fusion" style that came out only because of the popularity of anime.

Offline Pete

• Bardsworth
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
I will say that his best work in my opinion is his "Noir Style" book. It's great if you want to see someone place spot blacks correctly and well. I think it's some of his better artwork as well, as I don't like his "fusion" style that came out only because of the popularity of anime.
The noir book is the next one I wanted to get, as I have an idea for a graphic novel I want to do in a noir style.

Offline GaborBoth

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
The author of The Meek at http://www.meekcomic.com/ has some pretty awesome tutorials on her deviantart, http://alexds1.deviantart.com/gallery/#Tutorials .
As for books, I'd recommend Ben Caldwell's Action! Cartooning and Fantasy! Cartooning. His style is awesome, kinda reminds me of the art in Disney's Hercules. It's dynamic and full of personality. His site is also worth a visit.
Christopher Hart's Drawing New Retro Style Characters is also a great read.

Edit: I just found out about the book I've seen so many lonely pages of scattered around the internet. It's Preston Blair's Animation guidebook, certainly a must-read.
The first edition's good scans,
part 1:
http://www.animationarchive.org/2006/05/media-preston-blairs-animation-first.html
part 2:
http://www.animationarchive.org/2006/05/media-preston-blairs-animation-1st.html

(I fixed the link)

Downloadable pdf of the renewed version:
http://www.welcometopixelton.com/downloads/Animation%20by%20Preston%20Blair.pdf
(Not very good scan)

I found it very useful.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:12:08 PM by GaborBoth »
,,People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."

Offline Funderbunk

• Просто
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
Someone's bound to mention them, so it might as well be me:

Understanding Comics and Making Comics by Scott McCloud. The first one rocked my world when I first read it.

These are incredible. The middle book, Reinventing Comics, however, doesn't reach their level. It's a little preachy, actually.

I recommend Bridgeman's Complete Guide To Drawing From Life for art. It's very good. Also, for those who dabble in Animation, Preston Blair's book on animation as well as The Animator's Survival Kit and The Illusion of Life. And for those who make their art with words, The Elements of Style and Stephen King's 'On Writing'.
I'm so optimistic, my blood type is 'B Positive'!

Offline GaborBoth

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:46:49 AM »
Yes, Making Comics is a must-read. It was mentioned, so I didn't wanna say it again :)

I have two dvds full of art books and some movies, I'm gonna get some titles now.
How to Draw Manga the Fred Perry Way: A film showing Fred Perry draw some archetypes. His style is quite american, don't worry about it looking very mainstream, it's cartoony enough. Female Villain, Villain, Hero, Sidekick, Alien, Alien Female. He draws smoothly and logically, very inspirational.

Books:

Figure Drawing Without a Model (Ron Tiner) - A great, modern anatomy book. It knows what artists do nowadays and helps them in that way, unlike so many classical anatomy books (With renessaince musclemen with their bodies covered in lumps called ,,muscles". Those are quite useless nowadays in modern art) Very useful, especially if you are going for more realistic drawings.

The Villpu Drawing Manual - Figure drawing book. Its anatomy is too classical (as said above) but it has tips for designing poses and constructing a figure, so it's worth a look.

Drawing Cutting Edge Comics (Christopher Hart) - Anatomy book, best used for superhero comics. It is really good, it also has tips on how to make your drawings look powerful, inking and business advice, etc.

How to Draw Comics the Marvey Way (Stan Lee) - Personally I don't like this book very much, but it collected so much good advice in one book it is definitely worth reading, no matter the worse parts.

Perspective - A Guide for Artists, Architects and Designers (Gwen White) - Detailed descriptions about the types of perspectives and how to use them. It can get quite complicated, luckily I have two classes per week in the subject. 8)

Manuale del Cartoonist (Robin Hall) - A book about the basics of the comic strip drawings. It teaches you how to draw the kind of drawings you can see in crossword books and in newspapers. I don't suggest learning the way he draws, more like take his advices and draw in your style.

Offline GaborBoth

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »
John K's Cartoon School - http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/

The site is aimed at animation, but I believe everything he says can be applied to comics. Character design, writing, compositions, backgrounds, everything is there.

Offline raerae

• DA
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
A lot of the I'd reccomend are already in there. Anyway.

Perspective for Comic Book Artists by David Chelsea is awesome.

Link-wise:
Panelling, Pacing, and Layout
22 Panels that always work
Panelling
RaeRae

Offline Miluette

• "I have darkness inside of me!" ~SpongeBob
    • Hub
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
Some books that really got my creativity and urge to improve rolling...

➤ Ron Tiner's Figure Drawing without a Model (yay, it was mentioned already \o/)
➤ Barbara Bradley's Drawing People: How to Portray the Clothed Figure
➤ Ken Hultgren's The Art of Animal Drawing
➤ Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy and Dynamic Figure Drawing
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:27:51 AM by Senshuu »

Offline GaborBoth

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
I can't stress how useful John K's blog is.

But this entry makes it worth mentioning again:
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/acting-tools-1-expressions-basic.html

Offline 3XLT

• Tales of the Big City
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 06:49:07 AM »
Here are some more suggestions.

Comics & Sequential Art and Graphic Storytelling by Will Eisner are essential reading for comic artists.

The Art of Comic Book Inking by Gary Martin is good too.

How to Color for Comics by GURU-eFX is a good book to begin learning computer coloring.

If you can find any book by Andrew Loomis, get it! They are out of print and kinda rare at this point, but they're great!